starting strength gym

Thread: Bodyweight squat technique practice

Default Bodyweight squat technique practice

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Due to technical issues I’ve flared up my quad tendinitis, so I’ve dropped the weight and am now focussing on actually achieving good form from the ground up.

Without the bar, I’m using a TUBOW, and I’ve noticed my knees are often traveling too much forward, even when leaning over more than enough. I seem to lose hip tightness and, when using the TUBOW, fall backwards lower in the squat, even when my back is almost horizontal. I’ve had a few somewhat successful reps, so I’m thinking of continuing to practice TUBOW-assisted bodyweight squats until I’m not falling over anymore and feel the correct hip “activation”.

My question is, the book only talks of the bodyweight squat as a way to correct problems at the bottom. I am trying to use bodyweight squats to learn how to avoid problems during the descent and ascent. Is there any downside to this method compared to using the bar? I am somewhat deconditioned, so my strength leaves something to be desired.

During the actual squat, the mass of the body and the mass of the bar form a mechanical system -- they move together, one mass moving the other. The mechanical nature of that system varies with the load on the bar. IOW, the barbell/lifter system has a center of mass (COM) the location of which varies with the load on the bar. That Combined COM must be in balance over the center of balance (the middle of your feet). You are therefore "practicing" that which you will not be doing with a loaded bar.

The Two-Factor Model of Sports Performance | Mark Rippetoe