starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull ups and chin ups hurts my inner elbow, should I do reverse tyler twists?

Default Pull ups and chin ups hurts my inner elbow, should I do reverse tyler twists?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    it didn't used to be this way, i used to be able to do pull ups and chin ups with my doorway pull up bar with ease, now I can't even do 1 without inner elbow pain (for my left elbow there is pain, my right elbow is fine)?

I did some reading, some sites say i should play around with the grip width, i tried that, it sometimes works and sometimes doesnt, usually the first few pull ups are a bit painful and then the rest are ok, it seems like this is just masking the problem.

i tried an arm brace, same thing, it works for a while, but later the pain then shoots down my arm instead, i think the brace is just spreading the load to my arm and masking the problem.

should i buy this and try Reverse tyler twists? does anyone have any exp with this, i am sceptical, i plan to get the blue one, if it will help heal my elbow to do pull ups again then i would be happy:

reverse tyler twists - Google Search

link to prodcut: Amazon.ca

OR

should i do more deadlifts (to increase my pulling strength?) and presses (to increase arm strength) to increase my overall strength and hope that this works so that i can do pull ups again?

or should i try both the reverse tyler twists and Deadlifts + presses?

what do you experts think i should do to fix my inner left elbow pain?

There is a protocol for this somewhere on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by shak View Post
    usually the first few pull ups are a bit painful and then the rest are ok, it seems like this is just masking the problem
    So, the problem is, the first few pull ups you do are painful? What is the issue? It seems like the pull ups are not "masking" the problem, but rather treating it, and quite effectively. If it doesn't hurt when it's warm, it's definitely not an injury.

A question, to understand you better: Do you usually suffer from back contractures?

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    So, the problem is, the first few pull ups you do are painful? What is the issue? It seems like the pull ups are not "masking" the problem, but rather treating it, and quite effectively. If it doesn't hurt when it's warm, it's definitely not an injury.
    Maybach and Rip are too kind.
    I assume you just created this account to advertise whatever product it is you link to.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post
    I assume you just created this account to advertise whatever product it is you link to.
    Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post
    Being dumber than you, I looked at the links. Other than the fact that it lines someone else's pockets, I cannot really see much difference between that product and wringing out a dishrag, a skill my 7 year old has mastered for free...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There is a protocol for this somewhere on the website.
    sorry, I must have missed it, can you send a link to it please?

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    ok, i thought i would ask since it has been happening for months now, I don't think it will go away on its own now (unless it needs even more time?), i just don't want any kind of permanant damage if i keep doing pull ups

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    A question, to understand you better: Do you usually suffer from back contractures?
    no i don't, my back is pretty normal as far as i know

Quote Originally Posted by shak View Post
    sorry, I must have missed it, can you send a link to it please?
    You want me to look it up for you? No.

starting strength coach development program
    ok, i thought i would ask since it has been happening for months now, I don't think it will go away on its own now (unless it needs even more time?), i just don't want any kind of permanant damage if i keep doing pull ups
    If all you're experiencing is a little pain when you first start doing pull ups, that isn't really noteworthy. If it hurts you outside of the gym, or actually prevents you from getting past the pullups, then you might have a problem. You're not going to damage yourself doing pullups. I don't think anyone has, other than maybe some tendonitis, or slipping off the bar and falling on their ass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast