starting strength gym

Thread: TM Volume & Intensity relationship

Default TM Volume & Intensity relationship

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Andy,

This has been talked about significantly but I'm not quite understanding the theory behind it. I understand we want seperation between TM volume day work weight and TM intensity day work weight on a lift. And I understand we may need to go to 3 reps or singles on intensity to keep both volume & intensity progressing.

But if we really feel that volume DRIVES intensity up, what is the deciding factors between purposely slowing or stalling volume so that we get more seperation between volume and intensity work weight? Is this just a judgement call that we think we have the muscle to drive higher but we don't have the tendon, ligament, etc. strength to actually get there?

I'm not suggesting becoming a volume warrior, but other than having to take a deload when our body tells us to, why not just let volume continue to progress independent of what happens for intensity? Is it just increased likelihood of overtraining, burn-out, injury, etc. staying with volume & intensity for too long? I am older (45) so I do feel the toll it takes staying up in the >=80% for too long but I didn't know if that was true for everybody.

Sorry for needing to ask (or possibly re-ask) such a basic question. Thanks!

You just have to think of the volume day as a tool that we use to manipulate the intensity day. You will get much longer runs of progress with the TM when you are doing the least amount of work possible rather than the most amount of work possible. Its easier to just hit the volume day a little harder if ID progress begins to slow than it is to recover from being overtrained.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    You just have to think of the volume day as a tool that we use to manipulate the intensity day. You will get much longer runs of progress with the TM when you are doing the least amount of work possible rather than the most amount of work possible. Its easier to just hit the volume day a little harder if ID progress begins to slow than it is to recover from being overtrained.
    Yeah that is definitely not intuitive. Trying to figure out how to do the "least amount of work possible" and leaving some in the tank just doesn't seem to fit the mindset. I think that is why it is hard for me and many others to accept and understand the concept. Thank you for your explanation. It does make sense to leave a little extra on the bar and to add it in when intensity progress stalls. And it really makes sense wrt to overtraining.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRoman View Post
    It does make sense to leave a little extra on the bar and to add it in when intensity progress stalls.
    I don't think you necessarily have to wait until you stall. I've had success bumping up VD when ID starts feeling like a grind.