starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone actually do ab work?

Default Does anyone actually do ab work?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I often think it would be a good idea to do ab work. Especially as I have shoulder problems which severely limit my standing press. But I can never ever find a place to put them. Anywhere they go, they create ab fatigue which gets in the way of more useful squatting/pressing/deadlifting and such.

Was wondering for those who do specific ab work, where do you put it?

I really want to work up to front levers or even the human flag, but even simple leg raises/situps fry my abs which ruins my training.

I do a lot of core work. Mostly anti movements. But some heavy band crunches and the like as well.

Helps keep the stabilizers strong under heavy loads. More so than just the training effect from barbell work, which keeps them merely inline with your lifts. I prefer to have them more capable than that to ensure safety.

I do them on my second and last day of the week, right before rest days.

Yep, lots of leg lifts (sometimes with ankle weights) and standing abs on the pulldown pulley. I also do Kettlebell Swings, which work the abs very well.
    I do my ab work on the days I dont lift.

I do ab work on my lower body days

I split my routine up into two "pressing" days and two "back and lower body" days per week, so I obviously put it on the latter day. Typically one day of standing ab wheel (getting closer and closer to being able to complete a full ROM, standing rep) and leg raises in one of those fixed elevated chairs (captain's chair, I believe).

I work it into conditioning typically, knees 2 elbows, situps, sometimes ab wheel, I hate doing it, feels totally pointless to me. I suppose it's good but improvement isn't really tangible like squatting and pressing is. And I'll never get to low enough bodyfat where I'll actually see my abs anyway.

Doing ab work is a no brainer. No downside if you're not dumb in programming, sure benefit if done heavily.

My ab work consists mostly of the carryover ab fatigue involved in my weighted chin-ups, and some conditioning circuits where I do unweighted sit-ups.

I'm not putting up the numbers people like f4th are. I'll probably add ab-wheel work or weighted sit-ups in if I ever find my core lacking when/if I ever get much stronger in the squat and deadlift.

I'm going to give it a go again. Generally I avoid it as it annoys my lower back.

starting strength coach development program
    Gradual introduction. Use anti movements. Anti rotation, flexion, extension. More better.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast