starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: should I use assistance exercises?

Default should I use assistance exercises?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    hi.
    I am a football player and I do SS for a while. some coach told me it's ok but I should isolate my hamstring and my Closer muscle (for kick etc.)
    my squat is 120 KG. deadlift 150 KG.

shold I add those 2 excercises to my routine?

No. A properly performed squat will work and strengthen your hamstrings and adductors, assuming that is what you meant by "closer" muscles. Unless you have a specific muscle imbalance, weakness or injury, the compound movements will provide the best training bennefit.

you're already probably one of the strongest players on the field.. just work on your kick.

tnx for your answer but i have to add some information.
    now it's the offseason thats the reason i want to change a bit my routine. I wont stop squating and deadlift. because i have much more time to recover In contrast to the inseason that i do only squat, dead, bench, press and core.

if i'll add those 2 excercises 5X3 it wont add me strength and Prevent injuries?

In his book, Bill Starr recommends leg extensions and leg curls as assistance for football players.

Quote Originally Posted by goalkeeper01 View Post
    tnx for your answer but i have to add some information.
    now it's the offseason thats the reason i want to change a bit my routine. I wont stop squating and deadlift. because i have much more time to recover In contrast to the inseason that i do only squat, dead, bench, press and core.

if i'll add those 2 excercises 5X3 it wont add me strength and Prevent injuries?
    I think it will. There are some people that can get strong as hell just doing squats/dl/bench/ohp. But I think more people benefit from doing assistance work. Just look at powerlifting, how many great lifters just do the big 3? There are a few for sure, but many of the best do assistance work (including other barbell lifts: pause squats, front squats, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I think it will. There are some people that can get strong as hell just doing squats/dl/bench/ohp. But I think more people benefit from doing assistance work. Just look at powerlifting, how many great lifters just do the big 3? There are a few for sure, but many of the best do assistance work (including other barbell lifts: pause squats, front squats, etc).
    I think this is a slippery slope in the wrong direction for any athlete. They are doing barbell lifts to assist football, when you start adding shit to assist barbell lifts you start to veer away from the original focus. The athletes goal is not to drive the barbell lifts, but to use barbell lifts to develop strength for football. Most of the powerlifting assistance work is very specific to lifting barbells

Also a lot of the best powerlifters in the world do little or no assistance work, look at Malanchiev for one.

Someone doing low bar squats for 3-5x5 at least twice a week is going to be getting plenty hamstring work. But if the trainee is doing HBBS I can see the benefit of hamstring curls or GHR. If a fairly wide squat stance is used then leg extensions can also e good for balancing muscle around the knee.

important thing regarding reps,

when using assistance ISOLATION work to maintain heath of joints etc. Much better to use light weight and high reps. I recall Bill Starr suggesting 15+ reps for leg ext/curl done in a very controlled manner. Whenevr I have done them I go for 25.

Nut you probably do not need to do anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    In his book, Bill Starr recommends leg extensions and leg curls as assistance for football players.
    Leg Extensions

Overall, this is a worthless exercise. You place a tremendous amount of shear force on the knees. It also provides virtually no carry over to anything you do.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I think this is a slippery slope in the wrong direction for any athlete. They are doing barbell lifts to assist football, when you start adding shit to assist barbell lifts you start to veer away from the original focus. The athletes goal is not to drive the barbell lifts, but to use barbell lifts to develop strength for football. Most of the powerlifting assistance work is very specific to lifting barbells

Also a lot of the best powerlifters in the world do little or no assistance work, look at Malanchiev for one.

Someone doing low bar squats for 3-5x5 at least twice a week is going to be getting plenty hamstring work. But if the trainee is doing HBBS I can see the benefit of hamstring curls or GHR. If a fairly wide squat stance is used then leg extensions can also e good for balancing muscle around the knee.
    Good points, overall.

However let me reiterate, leg extension have next to now value. They also place a lot of shear force on the knees.

The squat is a more effective movement for "balancing muscle around the knee".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast