starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Programming

Default Deadlift Programming

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm a 20-year old female on SS. So far my lifts are (in pounds)

squat: 125 - 190
    bench press: 75 -105
    OHP: 50 - 67.5
    power cleans: 75 - 80
    deadlift: 150 - 200

I originally started the deadlift taking 15-lb jumps, then 10, and now 5. At one point, my squat was 165 and my deadlift 205, but right now my deadlift is only 10 pounds more than my squat. (I will blame this on a combination of bad form in the deadlift and also erroneous programming. Once I dropped down to 5-lb increases in the deadlift I immediately added in power cleans which I am not sure I was supposed to do right then.)

Is there anything I can do to put some distance between my squats and deadlifts?

Hmmm....not sure. I'd really have to look at your form on both squat and deadlift. It could be that form is really bad on the deadlift, or it could be that squats are getting higher or something and allowing progress that shouldn't be there??? Just not sure...post some video's to Rip.

I will record my next squat/deadlift workout and see what the issue is. Never thought about the squats getting higher, though. I shoot for the exact same depth in my worksets as in my warm-up sets, and I note in my log (my notebook, not on-site log) whether any of the reps are high. But this is something to look for.