starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method vs Powerlifting Split

Default Texas Method vs Powerlifting Split

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Andy,
    I poked around a bit with the search function and couldn't find anything on this. I have just switched from novice to a TM sort of program (my volume day is a little different). I have aspirations to compete in a meet in the future. So far so good with the TM, but I was wondering what was your expert opinion as to which program would be more effective for someone with my goals: Rip's powerlifting split or TM (or maybe something else).

Male 36 yrs, 6' 0" 255 lbs
    Squat: 395- 3RM
    DL: 435- 5RM
    Press: 175- 5RM (weak sauce, I know)
    BP: 302.5- 3RM

I enjoy following your log and read your threads, too.
    Thanks

What is Rip's Powerlifting Split?? I think I know what training schedule you are talking about, but I want to be sure before I answer your question.

Sorry I wasn't clear. It's not a program so much as it is an example split for powerlifting in the PPFST 2nd edition pp. 190 and 191 under intermediate programs.

Something like this:
    Monday:
    Bench press and related exercises

Tuesday:
    Squatting and deadlifting exercises

Thursday:

Friday or Saturday:

One of the main reasons he gave for this way of splitting it was equipment (I forgot about that) which I will never use. So it may be a moot point. My question in a nutshell is, in a generic way do you find the TM the most effective intermediate program for PL or do you prefer a split?

Quote Originally Posted by Girtron View Post
    Sorry I wasn't clear. It's not a program so much as it is an example split for powerlifting in the PPFST 2nd edition pp. 190 and 191 under intermediate programs.

Something like this:
    Monday:

Tuesday:

Thursday:

Friday or Saturday:

One of the main reasons he gave for this way of splitting it was equipment (I forgot about that) which I will never use. So it may be a moot point. My question in a nutshell is, in a generic way do you find the TM the most effective intermediate program for PL or do you prefer a split?
    Okay, no problem, I thought that that is what you were talking about but just wanted to be sure.

I really don't think that one is necessarily better than the other one. I think they each have their own unique benefits.

The cool thing about a Texas Method/full body routine is that it very efficiently organizes your training in a way that is extremely specific to the sport of power lifting - squat, press, pull. I do think that alot of guys ignore the physical demand that a full power meet has on your body. Lots of guys gas by the time the deadlift comes around and I think a little more exposure to full body routines can go a long way in conditioning yourself to that level of stress.

However, training this way is extremely taxing (especially as you get stronger in each lift) and it doesn't leave much time or energy for superfluous work that may or may not have a positive impact in your training. It kinda forces you to only focus on the lifts that matter.

The grueling nature of this type of training is also a downside. The fact is that a very strong lifter may not have the recuperative capacity to recover from the stress of a fullbody workout, especially if other external factors are not in place. That being said, even a lifter with the ability to recover from this type of training may simply not have the time to put in these types of sessions. At my gym, I struggle to get novices through fullbody workouts in under an hour......let alone a guy doing 500/400/600, or more.

Split routines are of course shorter and easier to fit into the schedule of the average guy's life. They also allow for more flexibility in the addition of assistance exercises if it is deemed necessary by the coach and lifter that assistance is necessary to keep the lifts going upward.

So I guess depending on where you are at in your training and what you feel like you need to do, then you can make a decision on how you want to organize your training.

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I appreciate your opinion and insight. I'll stay with the TM until time constraints or recovery abilities force me to change.