starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a reset useful when re-doing linear progression

Default Is a reset useful when re-doing linear progression

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I had milked linear gains a few years ago resetting a few times before going into intermediate programming. I stopped lifting for a year and a half, but I started again March 2nd of this year.

I am approaching the numbers I stopped linear progression at last time. When I stall would it be useful to reset and try and surpass myself with a linear progression again like you would do if you were a novice? Or should I just jump into intermediate programming instead of building back up LP style?

stats for context:
    height: 6'3"
    weight: 240
    squat: 315x5x3
    bench: 220x5x3
    press: 152.5x5x3
    deadlift: 375x5

A proper stall of three sessions missed would call for a 10 % deload and thenwork back up. If you stall a couple in this manner at the same weight then you should probably moved to 5/3/1, or pendlays 5's or some other program for that lift only.

I realize that's the procedure for someone on a linear progression for the first time. But, is that the procedure for someone doing it again?

Why not? LP is LP is LP

I'd just jump over to intermediate programming, there is no use in taking 3-4 weeks in building up to grind a 5-10lb PR when you could get that faster with intermediate programming. I'd at least do ONE reset though.

Quote Originally Posted by B4PJS View Post
    Why not? LP is LP is LP
    Because I am reaching numbers with no reset that took me 3 resets when I originally did LP. That seemed to be evidence that I am just returning to an intermediate stage as opposed to being a true novice. And if I am at an intermediate stage then LP-style resets would be a waste of time. But, I didn't know if this was true, so I asked for others' opinions.

I wouldn't deload. The few weeks to work back up just to stall again after 5-15lbs more gains would be better spent on an intermediate program. I would however take an extra light day or two just to dissipate some fatigue and see if I could crank anything extra out.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadTheMeatBeast View Post
    Because I am reaching numbers with no reset that took me 3 resets when I originally did LP. That seemed to be evidence that I am just returning to an intermediate stage as opposed to being a true novice.
    Well, that's basically what novice does - gets you to intermediate (whether you have been there before or not)

The numbers don't decide if you're intermediate or novice - recovery does. For whatever reason, if you're still making linear progression past your last LP, your recovery is better than it was last time. Your body is currently acting like a true novice even if you're not. I'd enjoy it while it lasts - but wouldn't expect it to last over multiple resets.

And if I am at an intermediate stage then LP-style resets would be a waste of time.
    Agreed. As others have suggested, I wouldn't bother with a reset and more LP. I'd ride out LP as long as it takes you - but just to the first stall (or when recovery starts to suffer) Then I'd probably just switch to TM or 531 (either of which will provide an initial deload anyway)

Linear progressions are very useful for regaining lost ground. Depending on how well you are recovering, eating and sleeping, you may also find the resets will get you further, faster, than switching to an intermediate program.

And that's really the question isn't it? Will the reset getting you further along and more efficiently than switching. I don't see why it wouldn't. Even though you did it before, technically you are a novice again. The 2nd time should be easier, you should get further, but essentially you are recovering like a novi e and you should program like a novice until you are no longer a novice.

starting strength coach development program
    I'd switch over to TM (or whatever you plan to do next). Like an above poster said, no use spending weeks working up to a 5-10 lb PR to stall again, which would be the most likely result.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast