starting strength gym

Thread: TM Intensity Day Programming for Squats and Deadlifts

Default TM Intensity Day Programming for Squats and Deadlifts

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Andy,
    I'm looking for some guidance on my Texas Method intensity day programming for my squats and deadlifts. I'm 37, 6'2", 230lbs. I'm experiencing a situation where I can only PR on the exercise that I do first that day. For example, last week I squated 410x3 for a PR, but missed my set of 5 deadlift at 435 (only got 1). Today I deadlifted first and was able to get 435x5, but missed my squat PR of 415x3 (only got 415x1). So I'm thinking about alternating the order of the exercises on fridays to something like: week A squat, press, deadlift; week B deadlift, bench, squat. If this is a reasonable set up, what do you suggest I do with the third lift (which will alternate between squats and deadlifts? Five heavy singles on those days? Should I go for a totally different setup? One caveat is that I'm pretty sure my nutrition is close, but not optimal, regarding protein and caloric needs, but I'm working on bringing it up to snuff, so please assume that I'm going to be eating the way I need to. Thanks for your time.

Jeff

Maybe a rotation that looks something like this:

Week 1

Squat - 3-5 RM
    Stiff Leg Deads 1-3 x 5

Week 2

Squat 5 x 1
    Deadlifts - PR set of 1-5 reps

The stiff legs are essentially a "light" deadlift but you can still try and set PR's with them instead of just doing light convential deadlifts.

On week 2, the singles should not wreck your legs in the same way that max triples and 5's do, so you should be able to still go at the deadlifts pretty hard. At least that has been my experience with training singles vs reps.

Your predicament has piqued my curiosity so keep me up to speed on what you decide to do and how it works for you.

You are a programming god. I really like that rotation recommendation, and will give it a go and let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Jeff

Might be a slight overstatement, but thanks anyways. Let me know how it works out.

Andy