starting strength gym

Thread: Programming Running

Default Programming Running

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I just wanted get some input on including running (three to five miles) into my training. I have been using Wendler's 531 for about a year and a half now. Instead of my usual 3 days a week training schedule, I was planning on weight training two days a week; Tuesday and Thursday. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I was planning on running.

Let me say that I suck at running. I always hated it and avoided it. But, my friends want to me run a 5k with them and I'd like to train for it so I don't look like an out of shape ass gasping for breath after the 1st mile.

Any suggestions on how to program running for a beginner? I suppose I would have to build up to the 5k. So in the beginning it would be walk for so many minutes then run for so many minutes. As the weeks went on, and I got better adapted to the running I would decrease the walks and increase the runs. Does that sound right?

Thanks

You should get friends who want you to lift with them and not run with them. Or you could just tell your friends "no thanks, that's gay."

If you want to start training then I don't suggest building up to it gradually. I would do a dead sprint 5K on day one and see how far you get. Do it again on day 2 and see if you can get further.

Ok I'm kidding, but honestly, I don't really have a long distance running program for you off the top of my head, but your basic strategy is correct. Start with a combo of walking and running for 5K's and then, over time, you will reduce the walking and increase the running. You can do this by using time, or using landmarks/distances. Also, I think there is a phone app called "Couch to 5K" or something like that has a detailed program in it that starts with short walks.

KSC's plan work pretty good for my half marthon training:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=29189

My squats kept going up until I got to about a ten mile run. It was a little hard to recover after that. My squats recovered within a few workouts after I stopped running.
    I’m a pretty pokey runner and despised running. I won’t even run if chased. The half was my 9th run of the year, so I don’t think you need to worry too much about getting conditioned for a 5k, unless you are trying to win the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    Or you could just tell your friends "no thanks, that's gay."
    I have found this method very effective with friends and my wife. It also works for Triathalons.

Inviting them to a Highland Games (technically an Octathalon) practice also gets them to STFU.