starting strength gym

Thread: Program without deadlift and squat (injury)

Default Program without deadlift and squat (injury)

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey,

Because of a back injury during a bad deadlift, I'll have to stay away from deadlift, squat and power clean for a couple of weeks, don't know for how long yet. I need to come up with a program without those lifts.

My current stats:
    Length: 172 cm
    Weight: 70 kg (I'm working on this..)
    5 RM:
    Squat: 122,5 kg
    Bench: 92,5 kg
    Deadlift: 140 kg
    Press: 55 kg
    Power Clean: 60 kg (I started out with Stronglifts, therefor my PC is a bit behind)

During my recovery time I think it'd be good to get my press up, so I'd like to try to press as often as possible, although I'm not sure if it's viable to press every workout?

A:
    Leg extensions
    Hamstring curls
    Leg press
    Bench press
    Chins

B:
    Leg extensions
    Hamstring curls
    Leg press
    Press
    Pull-ups

- I'm not sure if the leg exercises are too much or too little to kind of substitute squats.
    - Can I fit press into A as well, or would bench press interfere too much?

Any input is appreciated, I'm sure this program could be much better.

Why not just do bench/press (alternating), pullups, and then some light rehab work for your back (reverse hypers, light squats)?

Sounds simple enough.

I guess I don't need any specific leg exercise? I'll loose of a lot of strength for sure, but the legs won't have to do much work until I start doing heavy squats again anyway, and when that happens my back will probably be the bottle-neck?

Well, you have an injury so you should focus your efforts on rehabbing it, that includes not overdoing what training you can do.

I don't know the nature of the injury but when I injured my own back I took at least a few days off completely doing heavy icing, tapering off as time went on, then starr coupled with a lot of mobility/stretching and light icing (morning, pwo, night), then "normal" workouts. I viewed it as one major reset. The only thing I wish I did differently was not completely stop upper body work

Right of course, recovery takes priority. But do you mean that I should take it easy/easier on the upper body as well (I guess the press does stress the back a bit)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mizypt View Post
    Right of course, recovery takes priority. But do you mean that I should take it easy/easier on the upper body as well (I guess the press does stress the back a bit)?
    Well, I wish I did some upper body stuff but definitely not anything that would've aggravated my own injury. Extremely heavy/challenging presses can fit into that category, for sure.

I have the exact same problem (except the chiropractor i went to told me 3 months without heaving DL / squat - been 2 months now).

How much would you lower the weight on squat to have it "classified" as light? Used to do around 225
    And how many reserve hypers?

Also, is Bench press (with the arch) no problem?

Sorry for the maybe stupid questions, but been really concerned with my lower back.

Uh...

Well, the starr rehab protocol is supposed to be done not too far from injury date (i did it after a week or less). But to answer, its 3 work sets of 25 reps daily, starting with 45/45/45#, then moves up slowly, 45/45/50, 45/50/55, etc. so, really light high rep work.

You could try good mornings and back hyperextensions.

starting strength coach development program
    A little curious why you suggest reverse hyperextensions, instead of "regular" hyperextensions.

Is it because the regular ones put too much direct stress on the lower back?