starting strength gym

Thread: The confidence to sit back during squat

Default The confidence to sit back during squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've been struggling a bit on the squat, it doesnt make it easier that Im usually quite alone working out so theres nobody to check my form or film it. I've been at it for 8 weeks.

When warming up or squating without weight I feel that Im performing it properly with the sitting back movement and hip drive on the way up (somewhat). However as the weights get heavy (190lbs is my work weight), I've realised that Im not really sitting back properly anymore. It seems like theres just some mental block in my head. And as such I unlock knees and go down that weight more than "sit back" and thats usually why my knees are quite shot after a workout.

The only idea I have to fix it is to deload the weight again and slowly work myself up over time to get confident sitting back even at higher weights.

Anyone else struggled with this mindblock of sorts when it comes to heavy weights on your back when squatting?

1) Squat in a rack if you have access to one.
    2) If not, practice dumping a few times at 135# so you know what to expect when you need to for real (and it will if you do it right),

Box squats. Set up far enough in front of the box to force you to sit back onto it.