starting strength gym

Thread: How can I stop my feet "collapsing" while squatting

Default How can I stop my feet "collapsing" while squatting

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm having a problem keeping my knees out, and while this isn't causing me any discomfort, I'm worried that there will be if I continue making gains without fixing it.

I'm trying to grip the floor with my feet and really concentrating on keeping my knees out. When I get over 100kg it doesn't quite work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1le4wLbtYo

Some more issues:
    - My elbows can't be raised to the same height. My right elbow is always higher than my left. This doesn't seem to cause any balance issues.
    - I can't seem to find the low bar position after doing a few sets. Sometimes when trying to lift the weight I feel like it's directly on my spine, so I have to move out of the rack and start again.

And yes I do have a power rack in the middle of my living room
    Last edited by Teaboy; 05-24-2013 at 12:43 PM.

THat's what should be in a living room.

Two things to try:

Lift your leg and rotate your toe out, as far as you can. Remember what this feels like and do it when you squat. We keep knees out with our rotators, not our abductors.

Also, take the weight down and look down at your knees while you squat. Make them do what you want them to do, and watch them to make sure they do it. Rip recommends this in the book.

In general, your eyes are drifting up.

On the bar position: do you have a roommate who can stick his thumbs hard just under the spines of your scapulae? That gives you a tactile cue to know where it goes.

Nice room, is that a piano behind the cage?

I watched your video and it looks to me like your heels are coming up slightly, and your weight is a little forward of the centre of your foot. I have also had some 'knee travel' (as I like to call it), and at times I also found my weight on the front of my feet. I focused on widening my stance a little more (which now feels much more solid) and thinking 'hip drive' as I go up - both of which seemed to take the emphasis off my knees and I seem to have (mostly) solved the problem.