starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulders Hurt When I Squat

Default Shoulders Hurt When I Squat

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    My shoulders hurt after I finish squatting... and during. They hurt enough that I cant keep working out after the fact.

I know I have to let them heal and I am doing stretches and doing rotator excercises with a physio band as I had an injury that felt the same before and that was what was recommended to me.

My question here is: is my shoulder position while I squat ok? Or is it too wide/narrow/elbow up/elbow down? In my understanding thats all there is to shoulder position during a squat. But if i am wrong please help out.

Most recent lift:
    http://youtu.be/Ya3u834o8OE

Last week in profile:
    http://youtu.be/LLlvBbui16Y

Last week directly behind:
    http://youtu.be/tjgtX3IYS3g

Thankyou!

Your bar position does not look unreasonable, but it's hard to tell from these angles and distances.

What I can see you need to fix is this:

1) You are initiating the squat by sitting back. This is wrong. Knees and hips should break and be moving at the same time at the top, until about 1/2-2/3 of the way down, at which point the knees stop moving for the remainder of the descent. THEN you sit back and bend over.
    2) Get your head down like it says to in the book. Not to pick on you personally, but this has turned into the biggest problem that I see in almost every single damn form check. It's like people can't read what is plainly written in the book. STARE AT A SPOT ON THE FLOOR 4-6' IN FRONT OF YOU. Now I've typed (for the bajillionth time) what is already written in the book.
    3) Your stance is about 3" too wide, and your toes are not turned out near enough. Bring your heels closer together, and leave your toes turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Your bar position does not look unreasonable, but it's hard to tell from these angles and distances.

What I can see you need to fix is this:

1) You are initiating the squat by sitting back. This is wrong. Knees and hips should break and be moving at the same time at the top, until about 1/2-2/3 of the way down, at which point the knees stop moving for the remainder of the descent. THEN you sit back and bend over.
    2) Get your head down like it says to in the book. Not to pick on you personally, but this h as turned into the biggest problem that I see in almost every single damn form check. It's like people can't read what is plainly written in the book. STARE AT A SPOT ON THE FLOOR 4-6' IN FRONT OF YOU. Now I've typed (for the bajillionth time) what is already written in the book.
    3) Your stance is about 3" too wide, and your toes are not turned out near enough. Bring your heels closer together, and leave your toes turned out.
    You're in a bad mood today, Steve, m'man. And that looks like a beautiful gym to work out in, does it not?

Today? I'm in a bad mood EVERY day.

It sort of looks like you're doing a good morning then crouching down, instead of a squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Today? I'm in a bad mood EVERY day.
    I prescribe some lady-lovin'. Nothin like a good hump to take the edge of anyone's bad mood.

OK here is the most recent workout. I think i fixed all the problems.
    http://youtu.be/WO-dZaSZ3bg

Everything feels weird but im still able to progress my wieghts.

My shoulders still hurt like crazy. I had trouble sleeping last night because of it. If you picture the shoulder being a semi-circle (looking from above) it hurts on the two extreme sides of the semi-circle... or the most antior and posterior parts.
    Im not sure what to do. If i only squat and do nothing else it still hurts so i think it has to be squats. Its very much an aching feeling well after the workout, although they feel a little achy by the time im done squatting.

oh and thanks for pointing out the knees down somewhat first. I had issues keeping my knees back enough while squatting so i was trying to get the weight as far forward as early as possible...which i now realize is probabably a bit in the wrong direction.

RE:nice gym: there is only 1 squat rack so thats not the greatest and if you bail on the weights plastic flies off the rack which is somewhat fun.

Here is another video and this shoulder pain is really killing me. It only comes from squats and it takes me about a week to recover enough to try something else to fix them. So i have only been able to go twice since first posting about this.
    I fixed the previous comments although I realize that although im looking down my head is still up.
    Also on a side note I realized today that when i hit the bottom of my squat the weight seems to come forward a bit, i dont know if its related or not but I also need to fix that.

If anyone sees anything please say it. One thing I was thinking of is possibly squeezing my back harder to get the weight more onto my traps. It feels like it on my traps but maybe it isnt.

Videos
    Isometric

starting strength coach development program
    To repeat Steve's advice:

Narrow your stance.
    Look down.
    Drive up with your hips all the way to the top.

If your shoulders are bothering you, you need to do something to fix that. Do this stuff in this order:

Watch the video on this site about bar position.
    Make your grip as wide as you can.
    Stretch. Do shoulder dislocates. Roll around on lacrosse balls. Every day.
    Get a mean, terrible, awful massage.
    Move the bar up higher until the pain dies down.