starting strength gym

Thread: tubow squat check

Default tubow squat check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hi all. Name's Jason. long time / first time.

Anyway, I have been trying to do SS as well as possible while I'm finishing up my phd work. I noticed the other day that my squat form was a little iffy, particularly with regards to my knees. They were traveling all the way through the movement, and sliding forward at the bottom. So, I got myself a tubow and filmed three sets (at a lighter weight than I had been doing) today. They're from the side.

Set 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwZ5pF9hOsg&t=0m6s
    Set 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y__kiY9WT40&t=0m7s
    Set 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJETvu04YG8&t=0m16s

If you could take a look at these and let me know how they look, I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure if I'm keeping my knees from moving back too soon on the ascent or not.

If these videos are worthless, then let me know and I'll shoot some more (after I re-read the sticky, from a better angle / different height / closer) when I go on Saturday.

Thanks.

They're a little choppy, but that's to be expected with learning a new cue. You will probably smooth out and at least you're getting your knees in position early rather than letting them go forward at the bottom.

However, not all of these are all squats to full depth - and video 3 shows this very well. Are you staying high because the light weight is not pushing you down, or is this your normal depth? Either way, gotta get down there deeper.

Drive hard with your hips and you've got a pretty good squat.

Keep working and post a new video Jason. Maybe one side and one 45*.

You're bending your knees way in advance of your hips.

Quote Originally Posted by medwards View Post
    You're bending your knees way in advance of your hips.
    Aye, that's true. Good eye medwards. Smooth that baby out, Jason. Knees and hips break at the same time (the TUBOW or at least TUBOW cue will continue to help here).

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Aye, that's true. Good eye medwards. Smooth that baby out, Jason. Knees and hips break at the same time (the TUBOW or at least TUBOW cue will continue to help here).
    I suspect that this is an artifact of me actively thinking about the wood block, since the other videos I have on my phone show me breaking at the hips and knees at about the same time (to my eye, anyway). I'll try to get all this straightened out tomorrow and post another check if it looks (to me) to be better.

Thanks for the advice!