starting strength gym

Thread: Set volume for lower-body strength

Question Set volume for lower-body strength

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I just read http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22158142, which essentially concluded 8 sets would be better for 1RM squat strength than 1 or 4 in trainees that could already squat 130%+ bodyweight.

I can't find it anywhere in the study, but I assume they only squatted once a week.
    Am I right to assume doing 8 sets instead of 3 wouldn't work for a program like SS as we're squatting 3 times a week versus the assumed 1 in the study?

Did you actually read the study, or just the abstract? Because the abstract tells us nothing useful about what they did.

I read the entire study.
    The trainees followed a 2 split and they only trained legs with squats, so squatting twice a week. The 1RM was recalculated after each week to ensure the training is progressive and they did each set to positive failure with 3 minutes pause inbetween each set. Edit: All squat repetitions were performed to a depth of 90° knee flexion, and repetition cadence was set at 2-second descent and 1-second ascent.

Here's an illustration of the average reps each group managed per set and the results:

Essentially the conclusion seems to be that with 8 sets the strength increase percentage is bigger after 3 weeks compared to the other two groups.

I don't often read studies like these, so I'm not sure if I've misunderstood parts of it or its conclusion, though.
    Last edited by Tunafisher; 02-10-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunafisher View Post
    All squat repetitions were performed to a depth of 90° knee flexion.
    Oh, they did half squats.

after 3 weeks
    That's it? Three weeks?

Not a whole lot of time to reach a conclusion of statistical significance.

Oh damn, my bad, it's 6 weeks, with an additional 4 weeks (T3) afterwards to accommodate for overreaching.
    And the half squats explain how they managed to go up ~20kg in just a few weeks.

They should also include a group doing just one max set (doubles/ 1 reps) of squats everyday. I believe doing it this way is most beneficial to increase 1RM.

and repetition cadence was set at 2-second descent and 1-second ascent.
    This is odd, since 1rm squat attempts typically take longer than 1s on the way up.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    This is odd, since 1rm squat attempts typically take longer than 1s on the way up.
    I believe the 2-second descent and 1-second ascent applies to their workset reps and not the 1RM attempts.

I believe the 2-second descent and 1-second ascent applies to their workset reps and not the 1RM attempts.
    even so...
    1s ascent for a "half-squat", well yeah anything is possible there.

starting strength coach development program
    Squats near 10 rm are not very similar to sets of 5 across, and would never be my choice for increasing 1 rm.