starting strength gym

Thread: Second opinion needed

Default Second opinion needed

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I have been training a fellow the past 5 months, he has been training for his first powerlifting meet in March. I have attached a spreadsheet of his training.

Stats
    Bodyweight: 131kg -> 124kg (recently has been losing 2kg per week)
    Squat 60kg 3x5 -> 150kg 3x5 (180kg 1RM)
    Bench 60kg 3x5 -> 88kg 3x5 (92.5kg 1RM)
    Deadlift 80kg 1x5 -> 165kg 1x4 (172.5kg 1RM)
    Press 40kg 3x5 -> 59kg 3x5
    Rows 55kg -> 65kg

I want to get your opinions on a few things.

1) At the rate he is losing weight he will be under 120kg within two weeks with 3 weeks before the meet I am concerned this weight loss will compromise his competition attempts. If he builds up to a PR squat before the competition will that be a good indication that his attempts are safe (common sense I know but I want to make sure)?

2) Adjusting linear progression to peak for competitions: In the spreadsheet you can see he has a deload and then works up to a PR before the competition, I have seen this done in classical periodisation. Does any one have experience with adjusting linear progression for a novice in this fashion? Any advice?

Edit: This forum does not allow excel sheets to be attached so here are pictures which have been compressed by the forum.
    1.jpg2.jpg
    Last edited by AusPEteach; 02-10-2012 at 08:50 PM.

If I lost 2kg a week for 5 weeks in a row I would be a physical wreck, fantasizing about food all day and would no longer desire to be a competitive person. But that's just me.

The person losing the weight is also over 300 lbs, so roughly 5lbs a week isn't as big hit on them as you

Quote Originally Posted by MDR2 View Post
    If I lost 2kg a week for 5 weeks in a row I would be a physical wreck, fantasizing about food all day and would no longer desire to be a competitive person. But that's just me.
    Last year I lost a mere 6kg in 9 weeks (102.5kg -> 96.5kg) and I completely stuffed up a competition because of it, this is the cause of my concern.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    The person losing the weight is also over 300 lbs, so roughly 5lbs a week isn't as big hit on them as you
    My thoughts exactly, if all goes as I plan he will squat 157.5kg > 175kg > 180kg even easier than he did last week.
    Last edited by AusPEteach; 02-11-2012 at 05:18 AM.

I was surprised that the bench press and dealift attempts were not successful but is is apparent that he is good at squatting and bench press progresses much slower.