starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method - 4 day split

Default Texas Method - 4 day split

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Andy -

I previously posted this in the other programming thread, but I thought I'd bring it directly to your doorstep.

I'm approaching the end of linear progression, and I'd like to transition into a 4-day split using Texas method style manipulation of intensity and volume. This is the template I've put together - let me know what you think:

Week 1

Monday:
    Volume Bench 4x5
    Push Press 1x5

Tuesday:

Volume Squats 5x5
    BB Row 3x5

Thursday:
    Volume OH Press 5x5
    W. Dips 3x5
    Chins 5 sets

Friday:
    Intensity Squat 1x5
    Deadlift 1x5 (this may become 1x3 very soon)

Week 2

Monday:
    Intensity Bench 1x3
    Push Press 1x5

Tuesday:
    Volume Squats 5x5
    BB Row 3x5

Thursday:
    Intensity OH Press 1x3
    CG Bench 3x5
    Weighted Chins 3x5

Friday:

Intensity Squat 1x5
    RDL 3x5

As you may have noticed, instead of giving emphasis to bench or press on a given week, I would be doing volume for both overhead press and bench, with intensity lifting in the following week for, again, both lifts.

Deadlifts are scheduled every other week: at this point in my adaptation, I'm unable to deadlift weekly without creating systemic stress that interrupts my squat recovery. I will prioritize progress on my squats before deadlifts, because I believe they are ultimately responsible for long term progress in the deadlift.

I've included the push press to add a little athleticism to the program. Power cleans would obviously be more suitable for that intended goal, but in a few months, I'm going to be transitioning into Olympic lifting, and the coach (a level 5 USAW coach) advised me not to do them because they'd likely impede my learning the clean the way he teaches it. I don't have the knowledge to qualify these statements, but he's the only expert I've spoken to in person.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Looks fine to me. I have never programmed it this way but that doesn't mean anything. Just work the program EXACTLY as you laid it out for 8-12 weeks, and modify it as little as possible. Then see what happened and let us know.

If you are gonna hire a coach then do as he says. Otherwise, don't hire him. Just keep getting your squat and DL/RDL strong and your clean will come along in time.