starting strength gym

Thread: Program Trick

Default Program Trick

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ok, the trick was just to get you in here to look at my program. Sorry.

I had some surgery last December and I'm ready to transition from the SS type of linear progression into a more intermediate program. Here's what I had in mind:

Sat: oly technique, Squats (volume), bench/oh press (volume), Deads, dips, prowler pushes
    Monday: oh squats, snatches, bench/oh press (light), conditioning
    Weds: Squats (intensity), bench/oh press (intensity), power cleans, Pullups, curls

It's pretty much a TM variation.

Any recommended tweaks? I am considering doing power cleans on Monday instead of Wednesday. Whatever snatches I do will be very light for a while since I'm just learning them.

I don't know jack shit about o-lifting, so I won't mention much about it. I don't see much wrong with your program, other than maybe leaving the dips for later. Try running this without the dips and then when it's working good, try to add them. Unless you know for sure you can take the dips.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I don't know jack shit about o-lifting, so I won't mention much about it. I don't see much wrong with your program, other than maybe leaving the dips for later. Try running this without the dips and then when it's working good, try to add them. Unless you know for sure you can take the dips.
    I've been limiting the reps on dips to five at bodyweight (3 sets) because I don't want to screw up my shoulders. I think it's been good for my shoulders at that level. So yeah, I think you are basically right if I was treating those like a main lift it would be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    I've been limiting the reps on dips to five at bodyweight (3 sets) because I don't want to screw up my shoulders. I think it's been good for my shoulders at that level. So yeah, I think you are basically right if I was treating those like a main lift it would be bad.
    I guess it depends on how many you can do. If you can only do 8, it would be heavy. If it's more like 12, then it's light enough that it shouldn't interfere. When the snatches get heavy, I'd take them out of recovery day. Do them on tuesday (put the curls and chins on tuesday too)

I think you are right. I'll drop those if needed to get through Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I guess it depends on how many you can do. If you can only do 8, it would be heavy. If it's more like 12, then it's light enough that it shouldn't interfere. When the snatches get heavy, I'd take them out of recovery day. Do them on tuesday (put the curls and chins on tuesday too)
    tuesday or sunday (which would be tuesday in the normal tm) ?

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    tuesday or sunday (which would be tuesday in the normal tm) ?
    sunday, I just saw he lifts with a funny schedule
    Last edited by Carlos Daniel; 02-19-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Well, I'll try the Monday workout tonight even though my shoulders and upper back are still feelin' it from Saturday. Maybe it will be just enough to help with recovery. I have a feeling a real Oly program would look a lot different but I'm not really an oly guy... yet. It will be a while before I'm doing anything heavy enough on Monday to worry about.

You might want to do the snatches before the OH squats. The snatching will be a great warmup for the squats, and you will be fresh for the snatching.

just .02

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bowdirk View Post
    You might want to do the snatches before the OH squats. The snatching will be a great warmup for the squats, and you will be fresh for the snatching.

just .02
    Thanks, I noticed last night that OH Squats can be taxing on the shoulders, I need more warmup for sure.