starting strength gym

Thread: HIIT me please

Default HIIT me please

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi All

Because I'm a fat little B@$T&*D and love to eat food I shouldn't, in quantaties that are not ideal (too much) but love training, can I add a cuple of tabata style work outs each week into my training. My conditioning is way down, and I've read lots of good things about HIIT type training so was keen to incorporate it.

I'm making small but consistent linear gains at the moment in case that has any affect on answers.

cheers
    Damo

PS: I dont mind flattening out on my gains for a few weeks to get a bit fitter and leaner.
    Last edited by OzDamo; 03-12-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: I got it wrong.....

Try it. I like either KB swings or the recumbent bike for tabatas. I did front squats one time a la Dan John and it totally melted my face. Based on your conditioning level, walking would be smarter if walking fast would be a relative challenge, if you're not in that bad of shape than I say go for what you have planned.

My clients consistently hate me for using tabata training. Do it.

Try jump rope it's really intense and it's actually fun too.

Sprints? What kind of sport, if any, do you participate in?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Try jump rope it's really intense and it's actually fun too.
    Can we say SHIN SPLINTS. I have got a skipping rope, but it kills my shins. So does jogging. The sprints on grass seem to be OK though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chode View Post
    Sprints? What kind of sport, if any, do you participate in?
    I have pretty good TV watching endurance. I dont do any "sport" except for SS, and working around the house. Thus I'm looking for some conditioning. I have been very fit in times gone by though. i just go to the school across the road before work when I do the sprints.

My recovery is pretty bad from cardio, but I think that will probably improve pretty quickly. I'll just try and suck it up for the next couple of weeks.

ALSO.....When would people recommend doing the HIIT. Straight after a workout? It seems HIIT needs to incorporate the lower/whole body, and I can see that trashing my legs for squats

cheers
    Damo

Quote Originally Posted by williamlexcrawford View Post
    Try it. I like either KB swings or the recumbent bike for tabatas. I did front squats one time a la Dan John and it totally melted my face. Based on your conditioning level, walking would be smarter if walking fast would be a relative challenge, if you're not in that bad of shape than I say go for what you have planned.
    I tried timed, tabata front squats with very low weight and was gasping like a asthmatic drowning victim. Now I "sprint" at about a 5 or 5.5 min/mile pace. 30 second on/ 15 seconds off

Quote Originally Posted by OzDamo View Post
    Can we say SHIN SPLINTS. I have got a skipping rope, but it kills my shins. So does jogging. The sprints on grass seem to be OK though.
    Tell tale sign of a fatty. Push harder, your mum did.

starting strength coach development program
    Get a kettlebell. It's perfect for HIIT and it's fairly low impact. I use snatches or swings.