starting strength gym

Thread: Training young athlete, novice lifter

Default Training young athlete, novice lifter

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have a 15 year old brother who plays competitive hockey, and he would like to gain some considerable strength this off season. He has no real lifting experience. I'm just looking to help him get started in the right direction. He has from the end of this month until August before the next season begins. I am confident I can help him learn the lifts, and I will have him read Starting Strength.

I have seen that you work with a variety of different athletes of different levels at your club. Would you have a young athlete in this particular situation simply run starting strength? Or would the programming be different? I do believe that greater strength will lead to improvement in other spects of physical fitness, however I do not want to foolishly hinder his performance on the ice because I neglected to address other aspects of training he should have been paying attention to.

Thank you for your time. These forums and those who contribute to them provide an invaluable resource, and it is definitely appreciated.

The SS program will be the perfect program for him at this point in his training career.