starting strength gym

Thread: deadlift alternative

Default deadlift alternative

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    hello. i have trained with the program since 1-2 months, with deadlifts but no power cleans because of i cant them so i did pendlay rows instead. but these days i train in a new gym but this gym has plates with small plates. the biggest plates are 20 kg and 30-35cm in diameter instead the standard 45 cm. if I deadlift from the squat rack, then the rack is minimum 30cm high. i have short arms and if I deadlift with 35 cm plates my torso is almost parallel to the ground. now i do only hyper extensions and chin ups but no powerclean or pendlay row. what do you prefer? deadlift with small plates or rack pull? sorry I have bad english.

What a ridiculous gym.

Just rack pull out of the cage at a height that is as close to a standard deadlift as you can manage.

i have tried to heighten the bar with laying 2 plates under the plates on the bar to archive the standard high for deadlift but its total unconfordable. the squat rack allows me only to do deadlifts with 30 cm high, instead the standard 22.5 cm from the ground to the bar. its like tire deadlift. the bar is little under my knee. i can manage more weight but there are less ROM. will you prefer this?

Or, he could add some mats or some plates on the ground, and deadlift from there. That's what I do myself, since the 45lbs plates in my gym are smaller in diameter than the standard plates.

I like the rubber mats under the weights myself. Most feed supply places have 4x6 horsestall mats for about $40 bucks. Buy one and cut it up into squares to use for this purpose. I have lots of these squares around the gym and they are useful for this type of thing, for box squat height variations, deficit deadlifts, etc, etc.

Otherwise the rack pulls are ok too. You will still get strong by rack pulling