starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Books:

Default Books:

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Okay so I've decided that I've wanted to start learning more about weightlifting and decided to look up what books I should get and came up with a huge lis which I was able to narrow down to this:

1. Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe
    2. 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler
    3. Supertraining by Mel Siff
    4. Rock Iron Steel by Steve Justa
    5. Ed Coan – The Man, The Myth, The Method
    6. The Complete Guide to Power Training by Fred Hatfield
    7. For Sports Training: Science of Sports Training by Thomas Kurz
    8. EFS Basic Training Manual by Dave Tate and Jim Wendler
    9. Practical Programming by Mark Rippetoe
    10. Science and Practice of Strength Training by Vladimir Zatsiorsky
    11. Theory and Methodology of Training by Tudor Bompa
    12. The Westside Barbell Book of Methods by Louie Simmons
    13. Never Let Go by Dan John
    14. Strong Enough by Mark Rippetoe
    15. Transfer of Training in Sports by Anatoly Bondarchuk
    16. Beyond Bodybuilding by Pavel Tsatouline
    17. The Development of Physical Strength by Anthony Ditillio
    18. The Gambetta Method by Vern Gambett
    19. Strength and Power in Sport by Paavo Komi
    20. Secrets of Soviet Sports and Fitness Training by Dr. Yessis
    21. From the Ground Up by Dan John
    22. Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik
    23. Please Like Me by Jason Pegg
    24. Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance by Dr. Stuart McGill
    25. NSCA’S Essentials of Personal Training
    26. CNS Management by Dragomir (think this one is actually an article)
    27. Power by Fred Hatfield
    28. Under the Bar by Dave Tate
    29. Maximize Your Training by Matt Brycki

Which of these are worth getting, and are there any worth getting that I missed? I'm a wrestling coach and want to learn AS MUCH as possible about S&C that I can, and I find S&C books interesting anyways. Also, if you have the 2nd edition of SS is it worth getting the 3rd edition? Also heard a rumor that Bill Starr is going to write a new book is that true?
    Thank you for your time.

Peter44

P.S.: Should have put what I have already - Strongest Shall Survive, Starting Strength 2nd edition, Practical Programming, Olympic Weightlifting by Greg Everett, and Strength Training Anatomy 2nd Edition (useless for training info but fun to look at)
    Last edited by Peter44; 12-01-2011 at 09:14 PM.

This is your shortlist? Holy f*ck

Obviously, Starting Strength and Practical Programming should be high on your list.

5/3/1 is decent, but enough information exists about 5/3/1 on the Internet that I think it's unnecessary to spend the $20 or so on the e-book.

Dinosaur Training is fun, but not really essential. It's not really a practical guide; it's more of a weightlifters' manifesto. To paraphrase, it's pretty much like this: "Dinosaurs don't do 'blast and blitz' sessions with pink dumbbells hoping to pump their skinny biceps. Dinosaurs do HEAVY lifting with a FAT BAR! From the BOTTOM POSITION! The other day my buddies and I did 400 POUND bench presses followed by 600 POUND lock-outs and 500 POUND farmers walks! I was passed out on the garage floor feeling like I'd just died! You think the bunnies in 'chrome and fern' land train like that?!? FUGGEDABOUTIT!" For 150 pages or so.

You might consider adding Fit by Kilgore, Hartman and Lascek if you're at all interested in endurance or mobility training. If you're purely interested in strength training, it won't have anything that isn't already in SS and PP.

I haven't read any of the others, so I can't comment.
    Last edited by FKYT; 12-01-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Just start reading one of them and see where it takes you.

Book lists never really work. If you're actually reading the book with the desire to learn, the ideas you'll glean from the text may take you in a very unexpected direction.

And if you even read every single one of those books in order, you still wouldn't be "done".

Unless you have a desire to coach athletes at the elite level, I doubt you'll need everything from those books.

In other words, your topic is vague.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    Dinosaur Training is fun, but not really essential. It's not really a practical guide; it's more of a weightlifters' manifesto. To paraphrase, it's pretty much like this: "Dinosaurs don't do 'blast and blitz' sessions with pink dumbbells hoping to pump their skinny biceps. Dinosaurs do HEAVY lifting with a FAT BAR! From the BOTTOM POSITION! The other day my buddies and I did 400 POUND bench presses followed by 600 POUND lock-outs and 500 POUND farmers walks! I was passed out on the garage floor feeling like I'd just died! You think the bunnies in 'chrome and fern' land train like that?!? FUGGEDABOUTIT!" For 150 pages or so.
    Ha, brooks kubic is the man. Don't forget "Dinosaur's FUCK UP their shoulders and are NEVER able to lift again! EVER!"

Edit: on topic, I would go over the Rippetoe stuff several times and then maybe branch out. This is good advice for me as I have ADD pretty bad. Mark Bell's POWER magazine is pretty good for some casual reading too.
    Last edited by gummi_hulk; 12-01-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    This is your shortlist? Holy f*ck
    Yep, I LOVE books (have a small library of books already) and discovered that I like learning about S&C more than working out (still on SS tho, gotta stick to a program to get results)

Thanks for the help guys so far!!!!

And does anybody know if there is going to be a kindle version of SS 3rd Edition and if so how much it'll be
    Last edited by Peter44; 12-01-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Get both of Bill Starr's books, especially Defying Gravity. Get Mean Ol' Mr. Gravity, that is right up there with SS and PP. And from the 3rd ed. excerpts put up on the board recently, it looks like you should get the 3rd ed. even if you already have the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    Obviously, Starting Strength and Practical Programming should be high on your list.

5/3/1 is decent, but enough information exists about 5/3/1 on the Internet that I think it's unnecessary to spend the $20 or so on the e-book.

You might consider adding Fit by Kilgore, Hartman and Lascek if you're at all interested in endurance or mobility training. If you're purely interested in strength training, it won't have anything that isn't already in SS and PP.

I haven't read any of the others, so I can't comment.
    So this fit book is kinda like the same premise as SS for endurance and mobility training that you can basically train in a mesurable way with incremental increases??

Strongman - The Doug Hepburn Story ~ Tom Thurston

It is biography, but there is a lot Doug's training routines in the book.

starting strength coach development program
    You have alot of good choices there. Think about adding "Keys to the INNER Universe" by Bill Pearl.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast