starting strength gym

Thread: Overhead Squat Back Angle

Default Overhead Squat Back Angle

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hello Rip

I'm trying some of the CrossFit metcons right now and hence I've started doing the Overhead Squat.
    Now I'm curious about the following: Given the flexibility permits it, would there be any point in doing the exercise with a more horizontal back angle, similar to the lowbar Squat and thereby allowing to let the posterior chain contribute more to the movement? Or is my thinking completely off here?

Seems as though I've covered this, although perhaps only in a seminar. Certainly, flexibility of the shoulders permitting, an overhead squat benefits from the same hip drive component that a low-bar squat position permits. But the load in the overhead position for all but the best Olympic weightlifters is so low relative to squatting strength that it won't be a factor. In other words, for most people the OHS is not a lower-body exercise. For those that it actually might be, the awareness would be useful.

So upper back and shoulder strength are far more likely to be the limiting factors than leg strength, that makes perfect sense.
    So I'll just go with the position that feels best I suppose.
    Thanks for the answer

yes, in some top level weightlifters, their snatch recovery looks very similar to a lbbs in regards to back angle