starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Crossfit Football

Default Thoughts on Crossfit Football

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey all,

I know there is a lot of dislike of crossfit out here, and most conditioning advice involves HIIt with bike, sprints, etc., but generally what do you all think about crossfit football?

It seems pretty good to me because it is definitely strength focused and with short heavy metcons. What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by JimtheConquerer View Post
    Hey all,

I know there is a lot of dislike of crossfit out here, and most conditioning advice involves HIIt with bike, sprints, etc., but generally what do you all think about crossfit football?

It seems pretty good to me because it is definitely strength focused and with short heavy metcons. What could possibly go wrong?
    Wade through some of the conditioning circuits. I did a quick search and found the same old shit: lots-of-newtons-at-joints-for-high-volume

My issue is, I cannot convince my wife it is okay to only lift, and sprinkle in some intelligent conditioning. She enjoys feeling like death after a workout. I am just happy I have convinced her the value of increasing strength, but to her, 3x5 is "boring."

So I am trying to appease her metcon "needs." I was hoping scaling CFFB would be the answer. Any suggestions would be appreciated of course.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    It's apparently very profitable.
    It is free? With no advertising? Unless something has changed I don't know about. Welbourn has a pay site with allegedly better programming, but I'm not sure what that is like.

My issue is, I cannot convince my wife it is okay to only lift, and sprinkle in some intelligent conditioning. She enjoys feeling like death after a workout. I am just happy I have convinced her the value of increasing strength, but to her, 3x5 is "boring."

So I am trying to appease her metcon "needs." I was hoping scaling CFFB would be the answer. Any suggestions would be appreciated of course.
    Not all of the conditioning WOD's are bad. Just choose wisely.

I think Johnny Pain/John Sheaffer allows conditioning plugins for Greyskull LP.

Get stronger? Towards the end of LP, I felt like death after every squat or deadlift set.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerDaClean View Post
    I think Johnny Pain/John Sheaffer allows conditioning plugins for Greyskull LP.
    His benevolence is inspiring.

At the risk of appearing to be Uncle Fuddyduddy, you're probably not gonna convince one of "them" that feeling like death on a cracker is not a valid training goal. They have to experience the fail, get hurt, or have a moment of clarity - all are largely going to happen outside your influence. So you can attempt to nudge her toward something slightly less stupid, but until she gets over the desire to measure workouts on a destructive force scale, nothing's likely to change.

I found this article by Gillian Ward a very insightful look into that tendency:

Starting Strength: Article

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Been View Post
    At the risk of appearing to be Uncle Fuddyduddy, you're probably not gonna convince one of "them" that feeling like death on a cracker is not a valid training goal. They have to experience the fail, get hurt, or have a moment of clarity - all are largely going to happen outside your influence. So you can attempt to nudge her toward something slightly less stupid, but until she gets over the desire to measure workouts on a destructive force scale, nothing's likely to change.

I found this article by Gillian Ward a very insightful look into that tendency:

Starting Strength: Article
    Thanks for the read. I realize I cannot change the attitude, but if I can slowly vector her in the correct direction all would be well. I figured strength focus with heavy metcons might be something less stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by haesesa View Post
    Get stronger? Towards the end of LP, I felt like death after every squat or deadlift set.
    I'm in the same boat...that just takes a few months of dedicated 3x per week which I don't think will happen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast