starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check. 315x5

Default Squat check. 315x5

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This was my last working set today. Is it short of parallel? I have a hard time telling. Any other form critiques? (Other than that I'm doing high bar. I would love to low bar, but I'm waiting until I have someone there to ensure I'm doing it safely.)

Squat. Fifth set. 315x5 - YouTube

I think you do a nice job of setting your knees early and not letting them bounce around but yes, you are high on every rep. Get your toes pointed out a bit more and get your knees out wide over them and that will fix your depth issue. About the high bar squatting, I think what your doing is far more dangerous to your knees than trying to low bar squat. Just get the grip in tight as you can, get the bar below the spine of your scapula and bend over. You'll be fine.

You are leaning forward as you descend (or letting your chest cave a bit), which causes the bar to get forward of midfoot and your weight gets onto your toes. This is likely excaerbated by squatting in squishy shoes. Watch how unstable your feet are.

How is low bar unsafe but high bar is safe?

Thanks guys. I'll angle my toes out a bit more on Sunday and see if that helps me go deeper. And I definitely feel myself leaning onto my toes despite my effort to keep my weight on the middle of the foot. This happens at lighter weight too, and I figured it was just a mobility issue that would work itself out over time. Perhaps it is the squishy shoes though. Would you recommend going barefoot?

Also, I'm not saying there's anything inherently unsafe or less safe about low bar. I'm saying I've had difficulty figuring out the body mechanics. I've tried a few times, but my arms don't seem to stretch right, the bar seems to slide down, and my lumbar arch seems to weaken. I'm obviously doing many things wrong, but body mechanics have never been intuitive for me. I need someone to put their hands on me and put me in the right position and watch me do a few reps. Similarly, I'd really love to do power cleans and front squats, but I just can't figure out how to get into a front rack position. I've tried a number of times, but my body doesn't seem to work that way. Again, I'm sure I'm doing things wrong, but so far watching form videos ad nauseum on YouTube hasn't translated to an ability to physically get into the required position.