starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Have at it. I hit my goal of 200, so I know I'm getting stronger, but my form suffered as the weight got heavier, particularly the tightness of my upper back. I'm thinking that is caused by having a 5ft bar and fairly long arms that require a wider grip than it gives me, hence I can't grip the bar enough to bend it like it owes me money. You'll see that my hands are barely on it. I am now looking into fixing that with an upgrade, as well as looking into getting a belt. Let me know what you all think. Thanks. Squat check 170 - YouTube

Uh... wow. You could really use some better equipment. If you can't get a "standard" sized bar, join a gym. The narrowness of the bar is, if nothing else, setting you up for an ugly wreck with those squat stands.

As far as mechanics, you back goes slack the minute you start your descent. While the bar probably isn't helping this, the fault really lies with you not making yourself stay tight in the back (both lumbar and thoracic extension).

Yeah, you really do need access to better equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Uh... wow. You could really use some better equipment. If you can't get a "standard" sized bar, join a gym. The narrowness of the bar is, if nothing else, setting you up for an ugly wreck with those squat stands.

As far as mechanics, you back goes slack the minute you start your descent. While the bar probably isn't helping this, the fault really lies with you not making yourself stay tight in the back (both lumbar and thoracic extension).

Yeah, you really do need access to better equipment.
    Ha! Yeah, all of my stuff was free and right now I have very little money to play with regarding weights and equipment. But hey, it's something, and what am I going to do, not train? But shit, does it hurt my elbows.

Anywho, yeah, that pesky upper back problem. What do you do when you don't have much of a chest to stick out combined with the classic forward shoulders that tall, skinny guys have?

Fortunately, the size of your chest doesn't really play a role in getting your chest out as chest out is really a cue for pulling your upper back into extension. Check out these resources which may help: Link 1 and Link 2. You may also benefit, somewhat, from the stretch described by Paul Horn.

All that being said, it's unlikely that you have anything going on physiologically that would actually prohibit you from getting into the right position - it just takes time and effort. If you can get access to a coach, they can usually fix it in one session. If not, just keep filming yourself and correct from set to set.