starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the verge of quitting after 7 months due to bad squat technique.

Default On the verge of quitting after 7 months due to bad squat technique.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Age 29
    Height 6 feet
    Weight 92 Kg

Hi,

Its been 7 months and I am unable to improve my squat technique in absence of a qualified coach due to being in a remote country. During this time I have reached Body Weight squat 3 times and reset 3 times after 1 week rest. Due to this my lifts are going nowhere. I have tried TUBOW but the pain in arm and knees came back.

Recurring problems are:
    1) Pain in left arm / bicep.(due to upper back rounding, bad grip)? Also affects my bench and press.
    2) Pain in top of knees (due to shifting forward)?
    3) Pain in lower back ( due to core not tight enough?)

I am posting a form check video.

Is it time I move to high bar squat or an alternate program?
    Last edited by threeonethree; 07-15-2017 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by threeonethree View Post
    Age 29
    I have tried TUBOW but the pain in arm and knees came back.
    Not a coach, just an observation, IMHO your TUBOW is too far away from your toe, so you are permitting too much forward knee travel. I always had the TUBOW touching my toe, made a world of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by pshotsb17 View Post
    Not a coach, just an observation, IMHO your TUBOW is too far away from your toe, so you are permitting too much forward knee travel. I always had the TUBOW touching my toe, made a world of a difference.
    I have been told to keep the TUBOW two inches from my toe. Here

poor squat form causing injuries?

Don't quit. You'll only get weaker. Weaker isn't good. Strong is good. You need to push your butt back when you squat and knees out. Make sure to perform the valsalva maneuver for breathing. Have you tried thumbs around the bar? Does that clear up any arm pain?

How are your other lifts coming along?
    What was you weight gain like through that 7 month period?

How are your other lifts coming along?
    What was you weight gain like through that 7 month period?
    My weight is approximately the same at 92 Kg. Give or take 1 Kg.

I started every lift from empty bar. I was in bad physical shape.

Current lifts: 85 Kg Squat 3 sets of 5. ( Arm pain afterwards)
    100 Kg Deadlift 1 set of 5. ( Deloaded after reaching 115 couple of months ago)
    85 Kg Bench Press 3 sets of 5. (Deloaded 3 times starting from scratch)
    55 Kg Press. (Deloaded 3 times starting from scratch)

Its obvious I am not 'doing the program . However, I feel much stronger and better. I can feel the tightness when I touch myself( no pun). Even though the body weight is same. I feel 'bigger'.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlifts View Post
    Don't quit. You'll only get weaker. Weaker isn't good. Strong is good. You need to push your butt back when you squat and knees out. Make sure to perform the valsalva maneuver for breathing. Have you tried thumbs around the bar? Does that clear up any arm pain?
    I have been doing these exercises on my own without any supervision of a trainer. I have read the books and the articles. But when I try to fix one form issue under the bar, another one crops up. I have deloaded thrice. Posted form checks.

Yesterday, I tried to talk to the 'trainer' in my gym about form and he tried to peddle me a bro split(With cardio 3 times a day) and supplements. Then was out talking on the phone when tried asking him about details on his split. I have been going there for 7 months and it is a 5 minute walk from my house.

Then I tried another gym and the trainer there seemed relatively knowledgeable. He is not a SS coach(nobody is in my country) but does train local power lifters. He recognized it is a form issue with the pain and showed me more of a powerlifting low bar squat with thumbs around the bar. He recommended a 5x5 split with BB accessories. This one is a 15 minute drive my house. I can't expect him to teach me the SS style squat or fix my current form because he is not a SS coach. I'll have to learn as he teaches me , his way. But i'll atleast have someone to look at me in person and correct me when I am wrong?

I guess it will be better to be on a 'inferior' program and have a trainer look at me rather than being on a superior program and doing everything wrong?
    Last edited by threeonethree; 07-16-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by threeonethree View Post
    My weight is approximately the same at 92 Kg. Give or take 1 Kg.

I started every lift from empty bar. I was in bad physical shape.

Current lifts: 85 Kg Squat 3 sets of 5. ( Arm pain afterwards)
    100 Kg Deadlift 1 set of 5. ( Deloaded after reaching 115 couple of months ago)
    85 Kg Bench Press 3 sets of 5. (Deloaded 3 times starting from scratch)
    55 Kg Press. (Deloaded 3 times starting from scratch)

Its obvious I am not 'doing the program . However, I feel much stronger and better. I can feel the tightness when I touch myself( no pun). Even though the body weight is same. I feel 'bigger'.

I have been doing these exercises on my own without any supervision of a trainer. I have read the books and the articles. But when I try to fix one form issue under the bar, another one crops up. I have deloaded thrice. Posted form checks.

Yesterday, I tried to talk to the 'trainer' in my gym about form and he tried to peddle me a bro split(With cardio 3 times a day) and supplements. Then was out talking on the phone when tried asking him about details on his split. I have been going there for 7 months and it is a 5 minute walk from my house.

Then I tried another gym and the trainer there seemed relatively knowledgeable. He is not a SS coach(nobody is in my country) but does train local power lifters. He recognized it is a form issue with the pain and showed me more of a powerlifting low bar squat with thumbs around the bar. He recommended a 5x5 split with BB accessories. This one is a 15 minute drive my house. I can't expect him to teach me the SS style squat or fix my current form because he is not a SS coach. I'll have to learn as he teaches me , his way. But i'll atleast have someone to look at me in person and correct me when I am wrong?

I guess it will be better to be on a 'inferior' program and have a trainer look at me rather than being on a superior program and doing everything wrong?
    Dude get yourself an SS online coach, if only for the discipline and emotional support to power thru...

May not be a form issue (so much anyways).

You've made some progress, as you say, if you were in bad shape to begin with....

You've gained no weight, which I could see that might be prudent BACK THEN... ..taking your "bad shape" starting point. Now? maybe not the thing to do

What is your calorie intake? Protien?

How long do you rest between work sets?

Bar weight jumps between workouts?
    Last edited by MBasic; 07-16-2017 at 08:35 AM.

May not be a form issue (so much anyways).

You've made some progress, as you say, if you were in bad shape to begin with....

You've gained no weight, which I could see that might be prudent BACK THEN... ..taking your "bad shape" starting point. Now? maybe not the thing to do

What is your calorie intake? Protien?

How long do you rest between work sets?

Bar weight jumps between workouts?
    I did not calculate my calorie/protein intake. I Ate 4-5 meals a day. Including Meat , eggs, milk and fish. Since my weight did not increase and it didn't go down as well, I guess it could be around my maintenance intake of around 2500 - 3000 cals? I already have 30% + body fat.

I rest 3-5 minutes between sets. When it gets tough, may be 6 - 8 on Press.

I bought 1.25 Kg plates which I add every workout. Thats a 2.5 Kg increase every workout. (5.5 pounds). I even got squat shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by pshotsb17 View Post
    Dude get yourself an SS online coach, if only for the discipline and emotional support to power thru...
    I cannot afford SS online coaching. I do not live in US and do not earn in $. And I believe having someone look at me in person is much better.

I am thinking about changing gyms from tomorrow and follow a local trainer. He does not do SS. He may put me in an alternate program. But he's the only one around who did not try to peddle me supplements.
    Last edited by threeonethree; 07-16-2017 at 08:48 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Meh....just keep lifting and try to progress by adding weight to the bar slowly over time.

Try 3s x 8r on the main lifts...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast