starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beltless squat form check

Default Beltless squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This is 275x6 RPE 9 beltless. Any tips? I have a problem with tilting forward coming up, is this from going to low or just from losing tightness?

Beltless 275x6 on Vimeo

It's not so much that you're tipping forward. You're pushing hips back first rather than breaking at hips and knees at the same time. You're also keeping your torso a bit too upright on the way down and failing to get your knees in place in the first half of the descent. This causes you to shift forward at the bottom, and then the hips come up to get into a decent position for hip drive on the way up.

Break at knees and hips at the same time. Don't be afraid to lean over a bit on the way down, but most importantly, get your knees in place early and keep them still.

Ok, I see what you mean now. I will work on that! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    It's not so much that you're tipping forward. You're pushing hips back first rather than breaking at hips and knees at the same time. You're also keeping your torso a bit too upright on the way down and failing to get your knees in place in the first half of the descent. This causes you to shift forward at the bottom, and then the hips come up to get into a decent position for hip drive on the way up.

Break at knees and hips at the same time. Don't be afraid to lean over a bit on the way down, but most importantly, get your knees in place early and keep them still.
    Today was pin squats, said I used them too work on those cues of bending over a bit more and breaking at the knees and hips.

What do you think?
    285lbs Pin Squats on Vimeo

Better. See if you can get it to carry over to your free squat.

Here's a quick single at 315lbs I did yesterday before dropping down for my working sets which i forgot to video.

I've been trying to bend over more and it seems like my form is starting to look a lil better. It looks like I'm still going too deep though lol

315lbs RPE 7 on Vimeo

I also threw this video into the Iron Path app and my bar path is definitely looking better.

315lbs check on Vimeo

Your hips are leading your chest out of the hole. Think "proud chest" and look 4-5ft. away (you are staring almost straight down).

You are definitely too deep. You're allowing yourself to get loose, stay tight...

It doesn't look to me like you're leading with your chest, but it does look like you're going too deep. It's hard to tell much else from this far away at this angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    Your hips are leading your chest out of the hole. Think "proud chest" and look 4-5ft. away (you are staring almost straight down).

You are definitely too deep. You're allowing yourself to get loose, stay tight...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    It doesn't look to me like you're leading with your chest, but it does look like you're going too deep. It's hard to tell much else from this far away at this angle.
    Ok, thanks guys. Every lil bit helps!

starting strength coach development program
    I've been trying to get my knees out more and I think it's starting to look a lil better

225 warm up squat on Vimeo

Pin Squat 300lbs x 4 on Vimeo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast