starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm a novice, 6'2" male maybe 160lbs. Squating 135 in this video.

I'm all for low squats, and I've read through SS so I have an idea about how it's supposed to look.

Question 1: Am I going TOO low? It feels fine when I'm doing it, but then I'm still at very low weights. I want to have proper form before I get to the heavies and from watching myself it looks like I might be in danger of hurting my knees from going too far past parallel.
    Question 2: I know the video is a little close-in, but is there anything else that jumps out at you that I should be doing differently?

Thanks so much for any advice!

You're a little deep. Cut off a couple inches. Get a video so we can see all of you. Need to see your setup, stance, etc. can't get much from here. What jumped out was that you didn't have a shirt on and that you're an inch or so taller than me but I outweigh you by 70lbs. You need to gain weight my friend

These do look too low to me. You have a good bit of forward knee slide (the more the knees slide forward, the deeper you have to go to get the hip joint below the top of the patella) and you seem to be losing lumbar extension in bottom (which will allow you to go deeper but is not a good thing when the load gets heavy).

I would suggest concentrate on shoving your knees out on the descent (if they go out, they can't go forward) and keeping lumbar region super tight in the bottom.

I'd hate to make a comment on a subpar video and be wrong. We really need a better video. How about visiting the sticky, then post us a new one.

Going deeper than "regulation" isn't necessarily wrong. However, your low back is going into flexion at the excessive depth you are hitting and that's not a good thing. You are also shooting your knees too far forward which isn't doing you any favors.

Thanks!

I just did 145, putting the safeties up a notch and making a conscious effort not to go too low. I also tried to keep my low back extension, but with less focus. I took a video of each set from a different angle:

You're still going about two inches too deep. Also, try to push your hips back more while staying tight. And, push your knees out hard and keep them there. Think about keeping the bar over the middle of your foot. This will probably make your back angle more horizontal. It should be. Keep working.

Thanks again @mattlifts. I'll try again on Friday.

starting strength coach development program
    In addition to what Matt said, keep your head still and your eye gaze down. You also start with your elbows cranked high, resulting in thoracic flexion. It's not as bad when you start your descent but try and take the bar off with your elbows more down and your hands not wrapped so far over the bar whilst lifting your chest slightly
    Last edited by Royce Nichols; 08-09-2017 at 03:52 PM.