starting strength gym

Thread: 185 low-bar squat critique

Default 185 low-bar squat critique

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    these are my squats i took on 2 days in the last week during my fourth-fifth set.

side view video: side view 185 - YouTube
    rear view: 185 squat - YouTube

any tips are appreciated

A better filming job woyld help.

Watch your feet. They are moving and rolling around a lot. Is the floor very squishy? If so, squat some place else. If not, you are not keeping your balance over the middle of your feet.

Keep your knees over your feet, they are caving in slightly.

You don't really have any hip drive. Get bent over from the hips sooner and lead with them on the ascent. Do not let your knees track so far past your toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    A better filming job woyld help.

Watch your feet. They are moving and rolling around a lot. Is the floor very squishy? If so, squat some place else. If not, you are not keeping your balance over the middle of your feet.

Keep your knees over your feet, they are caving in slightly.

You don't really have any hip drive. Get bent over from the hips sooner and lead with them on the ascent. Do not let your knees track so far past your toes.
    yeah I can see it moving inwards on the way down, ive been working on some ankle mobility drills ever since starting out. the floor is squishy i guess for people who do deadlifts but i cant really afford to go another gym lol.
    The hip drive is something i need to work on but sometimes it feels like good-mornin' it on the way up however. i will post another video soon with these tips in mind.
    what do you mean by "get bent over with the hips sooner?"
    Also I find it pretty difficult to stop tracking my knees over toes physically, is there any way to combat that?
    Last edited by kurupt_goonju; 08-11-2017 at 01:16 AM.

For your knees, try a tubow.
    I doubt that ankle mobility drills will help you keep you balanced on your feet without them moving. To fix that, follow the master cue and find a way to lift on a floor that is not squishy.

+1 to what Jeff already said.

The way we would like you to squat takes less ankle "mobility" than what you are currently doing, so no need to waste your time doing that. Are those rubber panels removable? You are going to have a really difficult time squatting productively until you take care of the floor situation.