• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Link -> X - YouTube
    Weight = 130kg x 3 x 5
    Sets shown = 2 and 3
    Height = 6ft 5.5
    Age = 20

I have an anatomical kyphosis/hunchback + other shoulder injuries so I do high bar squats instead of low bar (at least until I see a coach).

I ripped my shorts in my last session so I had to squat in trousers for the first time. This kind of threw me off when evaluating my depth during the lift.

From the rear 45 angle, it looks like I'm barely hitting parallel and the 4th rep is an inch high. However, the side on angle shows I'm hitting depth. Which angle is giving me the best info?

Any other thoughts/criticisms/suggestions?

Thanks

For purposes of depth, the side angle is the best. The reason the rear quarter (45 degree) shot is preferred is that you can infer knee angle, hip angle, back angle within reasonably close margins. Also helps you see the back extension. if you can take a frame of your video from the side, draw a horizontal line from the top of the crease in your trousers to the top of your knee, you are going to depth. It looks like you are, and if you aren't are very close.

Quote Originally Posted by SS2016 View Post
    Link -> X - YouTube
    Weight = 130kg x 3 x 5
    Sets shown = 2 and 3
    Height = 6ft 5.5
    Age = 20

I have an anatomical kyphosis/hunchback + other shoulder injuries so I do high bar squats instead of low bar (at least until I see a coach).

I ripped my shorts in my last session so I had to squat in trousers for the first time. This kind of threw me off when evaluating my depth during the lift.

From the rear 45 angle, it looks like I'm barely hitting parallel and the 4th rep is an inch high. However, the side on angle shows I'm hitting depth. Which angle is giving me the best info?

Any other thoughts/criticisms/suggestions?

Thanks
    Dawg, I can't see shit.

Side view is best for checking depth, but if you can't get that, at least get an angle that doesn't have the rack in the way.

As for the high bar, it's not the same as the low bar for knee position. I'm guessing after you get us a side view, you're going to see the bar is travelling forward a lot because you're bending over too much, and you're knees don't track forward enough to facilitate a more upright back angle.

Where are you living?

Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    For purposes of depth, the side angle is the best. The reason the rear quarter (45 degree) shot is preferred is that you can infer knee angle, hip angle, back angle within reasonably close margins. Also helps you see the back extension. if you can take a frame of your video from the side, draw a horizontal line from the top of the crease in your trousers to the top of your knee, you are going to depth. It looks like you are, and if you aren't are very close.
    I should add that both videos were recorded from the same height (eg from the same bench) but the bench was lower than my standing hip height. Would this have greatly skewed my perception of depth (as in does the angle make my squat appear deeper than what it actually is?)

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    Dawg, I can't see shit.

Side view is best for checking depth, but if you can't get that, at least get an angle that doesn't have the rack in the way.

As for the high bar, it's not the same as the low bar for knee position. I'm guessing after you get us a side view, you're going to see the bar is travelling forward a lot because you're bending over too much, and you're knees don't track forward enough to facilitate a more upright back angle.

Where are you living?
    My side angle is at 0:42

I have to lean over a bit more than most people due to long femurs and a short torso. I think my bar path is a bit forward of my midfoot but isn't horrifically awful.

Is there any other bad things that you guys can see with my squat eg upper/lower back rounding, really bad bar path etc.

I only watched from 0:42 onward. Depth is fine on these.
    Filming from the 45/flank will always make the squats look higher than then are.
    Side is best for depth.

Yeah your bar path comes forward, but then again, your body's COM moves back as you squat.

Do you feel the (total) pressure on the middle of your foot?
    I wish the video quality was a little better. Sometimes you see the shoe's move/flex/heels lift.
    You look at ok (shoes-wise).

Hopefully, as the weight gets heavier the barpath will straighten out somewhat.
    But I doubt it, its going to get worse.
    You need to sit back more, which for high bar, and your leverages, will be real odd / tough to do.
    Somehow your need to keep your knees from coming forward, and thus bring your "whole system" forward.

It also looks like you get loose in the bottom, and therefore the bar moves forward as you rise.
    But that could just be the fact that you are out of balance by the time you hit bottom.
    Last edited by MBasic; 08-23-2017 at 06:44 AM.

Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I only watched from 0:42 onward.
    Do you feel the (total) pressure on the middle of your foot?
    I wish the video quality was a little better. Sometimes you see the shoe's move/flex/heels lift.
    You look at ok (shoes-wise).
    It feels more on my heels to be honest. I think I may be starting on my heels for 90% of the descent then come on to my midfoot which could somewhat explain the forward bar path

You need to sit back more, which for high bar, and your leverages, will be real odd / tough to do.
    Somehow your need to keep your knees from coming forward, and thus bring your "whole system" forward.
    So basically get my knees set earlier on in the movement and have a more horizontal back angle?

It also looks like you get loose in the bottom, and therefore the bar moves forward as you rise.
    But that could just be the fact that you are out of balance by the time you hit bottom.
    For my first 4 reps of my last set, I felt pretty tight. On my last one, I overshot my depth and my lower back rounded quite significantly.
    I think the forward bar path when coming out of the hole is due to me not leading with my chest when coming out of the hole. I really focused on shoving my chest up out of the hole on Tuesday after watching my squats from Sunday (this video), and I definitely noticed a more vertical bar path.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SS2016 View Post
    Thanks for the response.

It feels more on my heels to be honest. I think I may be starting on my heels for 90% of the descent then come on to my midfoot which could somewhat explain the forward bar path

So basically get my knees set earlier on in the movement and have a more horizontal back angle?

For my first 4 reps of my last set, I felt pretty tight. On my last one, I overshot my depth and my lower back rounded quite significantly.
    I think the forward bar path when coming out of the hole is due to me not leading with my chest when coming out of the hole. I really focused on shoving my chest up out of the hole on Tuesday after watching my squats from Sunday (this video), and I definitely noticed a more vertical bar path.
    What you said in that first statement, about starting off back on the heels. . .if true . . . yeah, the 2nd and 3rd thing I said might be irrelevant now.
    Would explain a lot.