starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check - hip drive

Default Squat form check - hip drive

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    After plateauing around 280, I decided to reevaluate my form. I reviewed SS and Rippetoe's T-Nation article, and it seems that I had the common problem of sitting upright. So I'm effectively relearning the movement. Not surprisingly, the horizontal back angle feels weird; I'm 6'5" and have a lot of torso.

I put a light weight on the bar yesterday, paused at the bottom for three reps, and tried to concentrate on exploding up through the hips, keeping in mind Rip's cue to push an imaginary hand up toward the ceiling with my butt. Something doesn't look right. I don't get it. It looks like maybe the knees are working too early. It felt like I was leading with my hips, but on watching the video, it looks like everything is kind of happening at once.

Can anyone identify what's going on here? Thanks in advance for the help.

https://youtu.be/PAHBVNGf53w
    Last edited by tonysolo; 04-04-2015 at 09:51 AM.

You haven't reached depth. That may be one problem. How much to you weigh? Your height is so much more than mine I can't imagine what you weigh. You look on the slim side.

it looks to me also like the bar is traveling in an arc going forward, like the front of this "D", instead of straight up and down

Looks kind of like a combination Squat/Good Morning thing going on.

There are lots of problems with this squat. For starters, your stance may be too narrow. Read the sticky on how to properly film a squat and repost.
    Last edited by salvilla; 04-04-2015 at 11:49 AM.

I'm not going to give any technique advice but it does appear you're glancing at yourself squat in the mirror. The place where I workout won't move either of the two squat racks away from the mirror, so I said fuck you. I bring a sheet and some duct tape to my workouts. That does several things.
    1) helps me concentrate more on my mechanics
    2) confuses the shit out of people
    3) prevents the jokers in the background from doing their tricep push downs.

There's more but it depends on the day...

Falcon, You are a genius. If I'm ever in that kind of situation I will bring a sheet and tape.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    You haven't reached depth. That may be one problem. How much to you weigh? Your height is so much more than mine I can't imagine what you weigh. You look on the slim side.
    Between 190 and 195, depending on the day. Hip mobility is kind of day-to-day as well; it may not look like it, but my hip flexors were screaming in that video.

Quote Originally Posted by salvilla View Post
    There are lots of problems with this squat. For starters, your stance may be too narrow. Read the sticky on how to properly film a squat and repost.
    This video checked most of the boxes with the exception of 45 degrees. I'll make and upload a second video tomorrow. What else will you be looking for?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tonysolo View Post
    Between 190 and 195, depending on the day. Hip mobility is kind of day-to-day as well; it may not look like it, but my hip flexors were screaming in that video.
    I hope you are eating. You are probably 60-70 pounds underweight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast