starting strength gym

Thread: How to avoid and fix quad dominant Hang Clean?? I had been squatting/dead-lifting ext

Default How to avoid and fix quad dominant Hang Clean?? I had been squatting/dead-lifting ext

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I had been squatting/dead-lifting extensively.

I am a Quad dominant person....

when i Hang clean, I tend to Pull the bar over my knee, Dip myself under the bar and Squat up the bar with my quad.

I am pretty sure this is wrong...as shared here also:
    http://renospeedschool.com/error-hang-clean/

This is me Hang Cleaning and Hang Snatching...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOQZhm19gXI

The next video is me TRYING my best to avoid Dipping under the bar.
    https://youtu.be/-i-Ny4vffMg
    however... when Not dipping.... I could not lift as much....

My main goal is to preform Hang Clean/snatch to increase my explosive strength leading to a higher vertical jump.

And i am not sure if this DIPPING bad form should be fixed in-order for me to reach my goal.

May be I should just continue as is and ignore the catch to avoid injury?

Any comment is much appreciated.
    Last edited by scoobychau; 04-14-2015 at 07:56 PM.

Hello,

my first question would be: have you got the book (my guess is that <my guess goes here>)?

If the answer is 'no', then my suggestion would be to get the book and read the Power Clean chapter, which goes about explaining how to perform the lift in a very clear and methodical way.

In the answer is 'yes', then my suggestion would be to get the book and read the Power clean chapter again, because there are a few things that you do that are different from the way they are described in the book.

The two main differences are:

- In the hang position, your shoulders should be above and ahead of the bar. Which means, if anyone saw you from the side, a vertical line drawn from the shoulders to the floor would fall ahead, ie further away from your heels, than a vertical line drawn from the tip of the bar to the floor.
    In your hang position, your shoulders are already behind the bar. Which means that any pulling action you are going to perform is being wasted a bit in the wrong direction. Which leads me to the second point:

- you are supposed to explode upwards, now backwards. You are supposed to think about jumping up and stretch yourself like you want to punch a hole in the ceiling with your head. If you think about jumping up, you will eventually come naturally to arching your back backwards a little to facilitate the racking of the bar. If you instead start by thinking about whipping your back backwards, you will end up naturally wasting a lot of energy to swing back your shoulders, and directing what little is left to actually pulling the bar upwards.

But, really, the best advice I could give you is to read the Power Clean chapter in the book.
    Oh, and another thing: this quad dominant thing you talk about it totally irrelevant, and maybe distracting you from more important issues.

Sorry, I promise I'll leave you alone after this. It's clear that 145 lbs is too heavy for you to hang snatch. It would be better to drop the weight to something lighter, and learn ow to do the movement first, maybe going as low as using just the bar. Then, once you know how to execute the movement correctly, you can start adding weight.

IPB
    Last edited by IlPrincipeBrutto; 04-14-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: from 'closer to your toes' to 'further away from your heels'

thanks for the reply and suggest.
    I will read up on the book first.
    and remember to keep head infront of the bar to start.
    many thanks.

Probably need to work on your deadlifts.

But really you're doing hang cleans so what is the problem? This problem, which isn't really a problem, will fix itself once you pull heavy enough from the floor.