starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm a novice lifter, doing SS, and am trying to get my squats straightened out. I'm not sure if I'm staying tight enough in the hole and if my knees are in the correct place at the bottom. I know my grip is wrong but it's because of inflexible shoulders, something I'm working on. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi8vNvbir2w
    First rep is at 45 seconds

Get some shoes!!!

Hey mate,

You're form is pretty good. You're a big guy you can lift much heavier than that without much trouble. Just keep bumping the weights up until you fail or you start to get some form issues (or pain).

Some minor things at that weight I can see...your grip is quite wide. Your feet are angled out a bit much and your head sticks forward a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouldnot View Post
    Hey mate,

You're form is pretty good. You're a big guy you can lift much heavier than that without much trouble. Just keep bumping the weights up until you fail or you start to get some form issues (or pain).

Some minor things at that weight I can see...your grip is quite wide. Your feet are angled out a bit much and your head sticks forward a bit.
    Thanks for the reply. I know about my grip, I'm working on my shoulder flexibilty, it's slow going. I'll try moving my toes in a little, do you mean I'm not standing up enough or my head is just bent too far toward? Again thanks for the reply to the above poster my shoes are in the mail, thanks

On the descent go down a bit more slowing and speed up over the last 1 foot. Get shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Try to bring your heels in about an inch or so, it looks like your stance is wide. However, I'm not concerned about your toe angle.

This is fairly light for you. It allows you to get out of your hips too soon. i.e. Your chest is rising faster than your hips too soon. I'm guessing we need at least 50 more pounds before we see any struggle.
    Thanks for the response, I'll give that a try. I deloaded, was doing 225x5, to make sure my form was correct as it felt a bit off. So your guess of about 50 pounds is pretty amazing. I'll add weight and repost, thanks again. Shoes are in the mail carson

starting strength coach development program
    Last edited by Bwags33; 04-20-2015 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Double post