starting strength gym

Thread: Press Form Check @ 60kg

Default Press Form Check @ 60kg

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Starting to fail my press.

Please give me some feedback where you can see me losing form.

https://youtu.be/3bILXgESWRs

Not too bad but your kinda wiggly in the lower body. Squeeze everything tight to provide a stable base to push against. Make your abs quads and glutes super hard. Using a belt will help. Get your elbows more out in front of the bar and keep the bar over your shoulders.

Definitely need to be tighter and it looks like the bar is too far back in your hand putting too much pressure on your wrist. Recheck the SS part on gripping the bar to make sure. We also need to see your hips if you're attempting press 2.0.

ABC plates, mate! Aussie....

Yes, you need to keep everything tight. Think: squeeze quads, squeeze shoulders back, deep breath in, punch hips forward, press. If you were tight you'd get 5 reps. Might have to microload after that though.

He is not attempting press 2.0. It's like the clean, hardly anyone self-taught does it. The grip I would not worry about until the other stuff is dealt with.

Agreed -- tightness is key. Rippetoe talks about the kinetic chain -- every joint from your ankle to your hands is a potential loss of power. You've got to keep legs tight, core tight, shoulders tight (I mean lats/traps, not the shoulder joint itself -- obviously that has to move). I'm certainly not the world's foremost expert, but I concentrate on bracing (valsalva, activating lats) before I even get it off the rack. Then I walk it back to my pressing spot and do a quick ground-up: legs, core (I brace again as I did off the rack), lats. Then I do my reps.

This video also really helped me (there's no press 2.0 hip action here): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN08c9hSBw0