starting strength gym

Thread: SLDL - technique check

Default SLDL - technique check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Thoughts/suggestions? First time doing these.

back looks rounded to me and your heads needs to get down so it is in line (angle) with your spine.

You've got the right idea, I'd say. It's the same setup as standard, minus the "shins to the bar" step. As such, the bar is away from the legs until it gets past the knees.

Do you "jerk" yourself into extension on your regular deadlifts too? You'd probably benefit from taking your time, methodically pulling all the slack out of the bar, and really squoze yourself into proper thoracic extension. Maybe take away the deficit until you figure out how that feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    You've got the right idea, I'd say. It's the same setup as standard, minus the "shins to the bar" step. As such, the bar is away from the legs until it gets past the knees.

Do you "jerk" yourself into extension on your regular deadlifts too? You'd probably benefit from taking your time, methodically pulling all the slack out of the bar, and really squoze yourself into proper thoracic extension. Maybe take away the deficit until you figure out how that feels.
    Thanks. Jerking is a long term struggle; by the video, this is a pretty good improvement from before, but more work is needed. I have an extremely long spine, which makes things difficult.

Jordan prescribed the deficit; I'll ask him and toy with the change.

If Jordan says so, then ignore me.

If Jordan says so, then ignore me.
    Upon further review - my mistake. It was SLDL of 2" blocks. Forgive me, I switched to Sanka.

And no, I wouldn't ignore you...any advice from a SS coach is gold by me until proven otherwise.

I am not a coach but those look more like a conventional DL rather than SL. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    I am not a coach but those look more like a conventional DL rather than SL. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    A conventional deadlift would have a bit more knee flexion at the start.

Let's see a video off the 2" blocks. That approx. 4" total will make quite a difference, and you'll be able to set your back much better without the excessive stretching necessary in order to pull from a deficit.

starting strength coach development program
    A conventional deadlift would have a bit more knee flexion at the start.

Let's see a video off the 2" blocks. That approx. 4" total will make quite a difference, and you'll be able to set your back much better without the excessive stretching necessary in order to pull from a deficit.
    Sounds good to me, thanks. I'll post when I perform them again in two weeks.