starting strength gym

Thread: flat feet - arch support needed

Default flat feet - arch support needed

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    hey mark!

I am Florian from Austria. I've read your book and I am definitely impressed how you described nearly every detail in it. Furthermore it is simply awesome how active you are on the board! Nonetheless I need a little help: In my squat my knees tend to go in in the bottom position and I recognized that it has something to do with my feet. As they are quite flat, it is quite hard for me to shove them out. Yesterday I saw a video on youtube fixing this issue in a special way: CLICK ME
    I tried it several times and it worked quite good for me. Would you suggest doing this?

You are also always praying to get a good pair of weightlifting shoes - do you have any suggestions for me? (including good arch support)

Thank you very much! I would definitely appreciate anyones' comments on that issue! (I hope my english is understandable :P - otherwise ask for additional explanations)

Default flat feet - arch support needed

It has nothing to do with your feet. It has everything to do with you having to mentally think about pushing your knees out (hard). I have incredibly flat feet, yet am able to keep my knees out. Even in the video the cue is to keep knees out and magically the arch is maintained. And yes get weightlifting shoes with a metatarsal strap like the Rogue Do-wins.

Collapsing in means you're letting your legs - femur & shank - internally rotate. If your feet are all mushy and loose and you're lazy about holding your foot correctly, you'll have problems. Knees out at the bottom is one trick to help you do this. But you can also practise while standing and before you start your descent when training. Watch what happens when you let things collapse inward vs rotating your whole leg out while standing. You can think about the movement being at the hip or at the ankle or both, whichever works better for you. It may also help to pay attention to the weight across on your foot. It should be balanced and not shifted to the inside edge.

I have flat feet. Went to see Kelly Starrett for some rehabilitation problems with my ankle and he helped me with that hip internal or external rotation thing (I can never remember which is which). I took a squat class from Tom Capitelli and he actually told me to not push my knees out as much as I was. Take away. Flat feet aren’t the problem.