starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back & Hip Flexors

Question Back & Hip Flexors

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark,

I have recently started the squat exercise in my routine, taking it nice and steady and building up my weight so nothing too strenuous at the moment. I have two questions for you which I hope you could help with.

1) When squatting as soon as I get to parallel my back rounds right at the bottom, how can I prevent this?

2) Finally, i get a lot of soreness in my hip flexors (at the front, top of my thigh where the crease in your leg is) again when i reach parallel; it feels like they are taking the brunt of the weight and not any other part of my leg.

Regards

Sat

You should post a video. #2 is probably caused by your knees sliding forward at the bottom of the movement, which pulls on your hip flexors, causing the pain you are experiencing. You need to sit back and shove your knees out to fix that.

Hi torment, thanks for the reply, question for you. As I practice the squat position, no bar. Feet shoulder width, feet out at 30 degrees, squat down with the palm of my left hand on my back. As I start the squat I have the arch in my lower back. As I go down to parallel knees out, behind toes I can feel with my left hand still on my back that I lose that arch as I get to parallel. So how do I keep that arch in the lower back. No matter what I try, it begins to straighten out?... Any advise greatlly appreciated. Regards Stevie3.

You might not have a perfect arch at the bottom, and that might not be a bad thing depending on how severe it is. Again, post a video.

T0rment,

here is a video mate, thanks for your help, from 1st glance i can see i probably need to keep my chest up, any other advise greatly appreciated. Regards Stevie3.

T0rment,

Dont think the link came up, here it is again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kaUqiijxo

Stevie, you may want to do a search for the term "butt-wink". Most people call it that but it's not very descriptive so it's kind of a no-no around here.

Anyways, the basic wisdom is that it's ok if there is some visible movement or change in your arch at the bottom of the squat. The key is to find out whether your spine is actually rounding and going into flexion or not. You can lose your arch a bit but as long as you are not going into flexion you should not be putting your back at risk.

I personally think, based on your video, that you are not experiencing excessive rounding. I'm not a coach or anything though, just my opinion. Hopefully someone else will confirm or deny.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    I personally think, based on your video, that you are not experiencing excessive rounding. I'm not a coach or anything though, just my opinion. Hopefully someone else will confirm or deny.
    I agree.

However, I think your depth is lacking, although it's hard to tell from that angle. You're also letting your knees slide forward at the bottom, which is what is causing your hip flexor tendonitis. You need to sit back while getting your knees forward and out (shove them out forcefully!). Your knees should be set within the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the movement, and they need to stay there throughout. Look at the TUBOW section in the book. I don't have it with me at the moment so I don't know what page it's on.

t0rment, corrie - thank you for your replies, they are much appreciated. I can see from your comments where improvements are needed. I will work on these with a better camera angle and re-post as soon as poss. In the meantime, do you have a link or something that shows me what would be regarded as the 'perfect squat' i.e. what us novices should be aiming to achieve? always helps me seeing something then i can try and replicate it. Thank you in advance. Regards

Stevie3

starting strength coach development program
    This is a difficult task because a properly performed squat can look different among individuals due to anthropometric differences. Your best bet is to get the Starting Strength DVD as it shows a wide range of people being coached on all the lifts by Rip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast