starting strength gym

Thread: Upper quad pain from Squatting

Default Upper quad pain from Squatting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi all,

I'm 3 weeks into the program and have quite a bit of pain in my upper quads from squatting. The location is the front, about 5-6 inches under my hip flexors. It doesn't hurt to lift my knees up near my chest, so I'm thinking this isn't my hip flexors.

In any case, I have been able to add weight with each work-out depsite this, but the pain is getting worse and I'm considering taking a break, which really annoys me (just started, was loving the gains).

Is this a typical problem? Does it indicate some typical structural error on my part? I'm trying to replicate the squat as MR teaches it, but it's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong.

Any advice would sure be helful.

I should add that I was doing deadlifts for a few months prior to starting the program and these didn't bother my quads. It's something w/ my squat.

You need to post a video in the Technique forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
    You need to post a video in the Technique forum.
    Thanks mwhities. I realize this would be ideal but it's not something I'll be able to do. This may make it impossible to get good advice, but IF this is a typical problem that relates to a particular and typical error, someone may be able to make a good guess and I can tinker with my technique. That's what I was hoping for, at least.

The pain is bilateral, fyi.
    Last edited by Swami; 06-26-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling error

Understood. I'm not experienced enough to say anything without seeing your form. With that in mind, I'm probably not experienced enough then either but, I figured I'd give it a shot.

I don't believe it to be a typical problem, I've never experienced. Only DOMS for the first several days, nothing more though. Not sure about any structural issues to cause it. Any previous injuries before starting the program?

Sorry to not be much help at all.