Thread: question regarding groin? issue

Default question regarding groin? issue

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello, I'll list my stats first

32 y/o, been lifting approx 5 weeks. bw around 200 lbs

I started out with light weights, 85 lbs on every lift except the ohp

I've progressed now to a 155 bench, 245 dl,105 on ohp, and the other day a 235 squat

I made a mistake though, should have only been 215 on mon

My problem is that when I squat now, I get this feeling of pressure in my groin area. I'm not even sure the exact name. It is the area on the top of ur legs, but inside a bit, feels like a tendon perhaps on each side

I haven't went to the dr, because I'm not actually in pain. it's only when I squat,and even then, it's not really a pain, but a feeling of pressure,like it's going to snap. It's really hindering my squats now

i tried to do 225 yesterday. I somehow got 1 set done, but weight felt extremely heavy. tried for a 2nd set,got 1 rep, then had to stop

i had done more weight just 2 days before

I just wish I could solve this problem. I think it has to do with form, I go very low on squats. I basically go as low as possible for my body

I think I could be overstretching the area,maybe not warming up sufficiently

I don't want to miss squat workouts,especially when i'm not in any pain

but the problem is really starting to effect my squats. i just get no drive out of the hole now.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

There are many things in your form that could cause this. Without a video, it's impossible to isolate the cause. Provide one and we might be able to help.

I know it's a month old post but... I had the same issue. Narrowing the stance a bit worked for me. I basicly went ass to grass with a very wide stance, and probably overstretched the tedons. In my case it was also followed by a burning sensation though.

Form check, or suffer. Son.

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    I know it's a month old post but... I had the same issue. Narrowing the stance a bit worked for me. I basicly went ass to grass with a very wide stance, and probably overstretched the tedons. In my case it was also followed by a burning sensation though.

The same thing happened to me.

Now I narrow my stance a bit, with toes out so I can clear my hips and I don't go too low. Try not to go past the point where you lose tightness in your hamstrings. All this "ass to grass" bullshit is probably getting a lot of ppl hurt. People are forcing themselves lower than they should. Parallel or a little below with a nice tight back is good enough for me.