starting strength gym

Thread: IT Band injury? Biceps femoris long head snapping around (Yes, I've searched).

Default IT Band injury? Biceps femoris long head snapping around (Yes, I've searched).

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark,

I'm going to ask an IT Band injury question then duck for cover. I know you've had IT Band problems yourself and specifically related hip pain so I'd love to know your opinion.

I was away from squats for a while resting a right ankle injury, and started them up again getting the strength back, when I started to get sore in the left hip around where I assume the IT Band is. I'm also sore in around the hip joint. I tried to work through it because it didn't restrict movement or get worse during the work but my left knee started to click and I started to get a dull ache around the lower outside knee. Specifically, if I hold my hand to the back of the knee it feels like the biceps femoris long head is snapping around back there. I've never had these problems in the past so I thought that I might have done something to the ITB, hoping it's not something more serious.

Did you suffer similar symptoms? I'm going to see a sport physio but I've had limited success with them in the past so I thought I'd ask.

Have you had the IT band released?

I haven't Mark, no. I'll definitely ask about that on Monday when I see the physio to see if he can do it. I'm looking forward to that (sarcasm in case you weren't aware).

I was just wondering if it sounded like an ITB issue opposed to something else.

You said you searched...

I'll search better. Cheers mate, I appreciate your time.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Mark,

thanks again for the advice. So I saw a physio who did a bit of an ITB release (I know pain a lot better now) and the the knee has improved. She gave me stretches to do, which I'll do in the hope that they may help but I'm not overly confident because she also advised that my glute isn't activating when I squat using the left leg, so there seems to be an imbalance. I've read your thoughts on 'glute activation' in the past so I'm not sure what to think of that. However, from memory I had been diagnosed with a malformed facet joint as a kid which may be causing an imbalance.

Anyway, quick question for you if you're willing - I'm due to see her again, but have you any experience with this kind of thing? Any suggestion? My plan is to rest from squats a little longer then slowly work back to my best weight assuming the biceps femoris insertion tendon isn't still snapping around (which is currently still is).