starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I got up to 202.5x5 a few weeks ago but strained my right adductor. On my way back, here's 175x5. Thanks for any feedback.

175x5 on Vimeo

You're not knees all the way forward until the bottom of the rep. Get them forward earlier, all the way forward by the first 1/2 - 2/3 of the descent, then keep them there for the bottom of the rep. Once they are set, the bottom of the rep is to sit back and bend over. You also need to shove your knees out better - keep them out over your toes. Don't lift your elbows so high, you're over-doing the raised elbows, which we've seen a lot of lately. Finally, you might consider moving the stands away from the wall a bit - you're kind of close to the wall which can mess up the gaze point.

Many thanks for the feedback.

I'm probably late with the knees because due to recent knee pain, I'm trying hard to keep them from going too far forward. I'm also getting used to the lower shoes (changed from 1" Do-Wins).

In my case, I feel as if the high elbows are due to shoulder mobility trouble. I feel as if I'm sticking them up because I can't get my hands closer to my shoulders without pain.

Here's another try -- this was my third work set at 185. I was trying to focus bending my knees earlier and shoving them out to the side. (And obviously it's 10 lbs. harder, as you can see from my quivering elbows.)

185x5 on Vimeo

Closer, but they are still sliding forward at the bottom, and collapsing in on the way up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Closer, but they are still sliding forward at the bottom, and collapsing in on the way up.
    Thanks again. This morning I think I really got the hang of leading with the knee movement then sitting back at the end. 190 was easier than the 185 in the video but I didn't take video - will shoot one at 195 next week.