starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falling forwards in the squat.

Default Falling forwards in the squat.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello Mark et al.

I have been training for several years and as a powerlifter for around 3. I have competed several times as an unequiped junior (22 years old) in tested federations and done moderatly well, my best lifts being 215/160/280 @ 110.

Here are a few videos of the problem.

210x1 front view.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/justtttt.../7/a_pw6SXX1Qs

205x1 side view.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/justtttt...72/WIESgs3nEgU

205xf front view.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIMLh4Ol6Ds

I have tried so many things, front squats, high bar squats, hammering the hamstrings, lower back and glutes, direct hip work, looking down, looking up, slower descent.........

I have recently started training with some very competent powerlifters who have thrown a few ideas into the mix on what it could be but I thought you would be a good person to ask. With there advice I have cut depth by taking my squat stance out wider, with my narrow stance I am actually weaker if i attempt to cut the ROM short. The problem still persists, my legs straighten and I end up slowly good morninging the weight up which throws the weight onto my toes.

I feel my squat is really holding me back as I have been stuck at the low 200 mark for a while. I seem to have tried virtually everything reccomended to me.

Thanks for your time and if you cant help thanks anyway.

It's not so much that your chest is dropping, but rather that your ass is going back instead of up. Look at the side view and see what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    your ass is going back instead of up.
    The above = loss of hamstring tension and kills hip drive, yes?

Several things are involved. The knee angle is opening to allow this, right? Hamstring anchors this distally, and well as proximal gastrocnemus function. Not many people think about the calves' role in squatting, but all this has to be kept tight so that the quads can extend the knees while the hips drive straight up. If not, the result is his squat. He's going to have to squeeze hamstrings and calves, while looking down and driving his hips UP, not back. It will help if his low back is tightened into a better arch. It will also help the calf situation if he has some heeled WL shoes.

On the DVD during the squat section, Rip loads the trainees backs with a bit of weight and has them look down while squatting and again while looking up. A couple of them had squats that looked like yours.

I'm a total new guy, so take this with a grain of salt, but try looking down during your squat. I noticed you look straight ahead at best and slightly up at times in two of the three videos.

But again take it with a grain of salt.

Hi Mark thanks for the reply. I have actually never really done any direct work on my calfs? Would this help or is it more of a concentration on their involvement whilst squatting?

I see what you mean with the ass moving backwards rather than up, I did used to squat in my ironworks but switched back to flat shoes as i took my stance out wider and assumed flats were more suited to wide stance squatting?

Direct calf work is not needed, but their contribution to the squat is necessary. Think about squeezing everything tight. The heels will help.

Great I will give it all a shot and throw on the ironworks tomrrow!

Probally shouldnt have done my kettlebell work tonight but ahh well ...

Thanks

Tried the advice tonight, particularly looking down and oly boots! Felt a definite improvement! Videos to follow later/tomorrow THanks Rip
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 08-18-2010 at 02:26 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    160x5 (weight in title wrong)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH4l-...layer_embedded

180x5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umr5C...layer_embedded

Not a 1rep max but looking much better than my usual tech. Any further pointers gladly appreciated..

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast