starting strength gym

Thread: Squat question

Unhappy Squat question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip,
    im just getting started with SS, i will be going to the only gym in my town (i live in a really small town on the mountains of greece).

Here is my problem, and I guess you have already been asked that question a million times, but they don't have a squat rack. (i know its hard to believe, they have over 30 different machines but only a small area for free weights)

First of all, i am aware that SS is a barbell program, and that changing it in any way will stop being SS, but what do you recommend that I do?

Buying equipment myself is not an option, as well as asking the people in the gym to get a rack (the gym is public, and in greece that means that noone cares about you).

What should I do? Should I do front/zercher squats? Should I do dumbbell squats?

Damn, all these years I lacked the determination to begin exercising, and now that I plucked up the courage, i keep facing new obstacles..

As I've said a hundred times before, if you can't squat out of a rack you can't do the program. Both myself and the program are sorry for your situation, but that does not alter the reality of the facts.

Have you tried asking the gym, in case you bought a rack, if they would mind if you left it there in a corner? I considered this myself when I was looking for a was to do squats. I ended up finding a place with a rack, but you could try that. Finding some cheap barbell stands shouldn't be very hard.

Have you considered moving?

Default Home gym

Sounds like you'll just have to build your own gym at home including a rack for squats if your public gym is really that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    As I've said a hundred times before, if you can't squat out of a rack you can't do the program. Both myself and the program are sorry for your situation, but that does not alter the reality of the facts.
    Thank you for your reply.

I totally understand that, and i am sorry for the "originality" of my question, but still, is there any other leg exercise I can do? My main concern is to gain even strength throughout my body, not huge arms/tiny legs like the typical gym rats nowadays.
    If that sounds better to you, I don't want to follow SS (for the reason you outlined), but another training program that includes all the other exercises of SS(deadlifts, bench presses, cleans etc)

Once again, thanks for your time.

You can do any other leg exercises you want. There are lots of them. Get Bill Pearl's book Keys To The Inner Universe. It lists several hundred.

Just do front squats. Even though your technically not doing "SS" at least your in the gym doing something, which is more than we can say for most people.

While it's not quite the same, I think that Front Squats would be the next best thing. That's what I had to do for a little while when my trap was fucked up and I couldn't support a barbell on it (just coming out of that recently).