starting strength gym

Thread: An Unexpectedly Pleasant Outcome to My First Workout Since Knee Surgery

Default An Unexpectedly Pleasant Outcome to My First Workout Since Knee Surgery

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I had a scoped meniscectomy on my left knee to repair two tears in my meniscus - one on each side - on the 18th of December. Today, I started working out again - not, I confess, without a tinge or two of worry.

So it all went well, and when I was finished, I noticed that the lingering ache in that knee I'd been feeling since the surgery was gone.

I thought that it might be a temporary effect but now, six hours later and after an eight mile bike ride, the ache is still gone.

I view this as a very good thing, but I wonder what the reason is for it. Did the squats/deadlifts break some adhesions or something in that knee that were causing pain?

I've never had knee surgery before, so I have no idea what I'm talking about here. All I know is that I'm suddenly feeling much better.

Congrats. Now, go back and do s'more squats!

What would your PT have you doing?
    Last edited by MashedTaters; 01-14-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedTaters View Post
    Congrats. Now, go back and do s'more squats!

What would your PT have you doing?
    Which reminds me. I gotta stop munching the Smores while sitting on my (now fatter) ass.

PT? I never went. I thought they sounded asinine. My orthodoc absolutely hates squats. I figured any PT she approved of would be equally stupid.

They did give me a paper with a "PT" schedule on it. By now I should be doing things like lying on my back and drawing my knees back as far as I can while keeping my feet flat on the floor. To build my "quads" you understand.

I was assured that this schedule was carefully tailored to "men of my age," in order to avoid overstressing us and possibly causing us injury. I told the PA who was explaining all this on my post-op appointment that I'd been squatting as much as 225 pounds, and did she think my quads were too weak to handle the PT stress?

She blinked, then said, "Well, you shouldn't be doing squats at all. Very dangerous, especially for a man your age."

The whole damned office was brainwashed.
    Last edited by Bill Quick; 01-14-2015 at 07:48 PM.

I'm glad that you see through those ninnies. They need to read some stuff from Dr. Sullivan. We are the same age and my knees feel better now than they have ever felt. I'm thankful for the squat, even though I don't think I do it very well.

Priceless!

Bill, I wish I coulda been a fly on the wall when you told her about your squats.

starting strength coach development program
    She was definitely not amused.