starting strength gym

Thread: Learning low bar squat

Default Learning low bar squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi!

I am trying learn the low-bar squat, and I would really like to have a form check!

Also, I want to learn to post videos correctly so that it is easier for you to watch... If something is not right about the video, please tell me!

Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6yu...it?usp=sharing

Thanks a bunch!

The big issue is that you are going too deep. Cut off your depth by staying tight throughout your descent and not relaxing at the bottom. There may be other things going on but I cannot see from this angle. The depth is the main one though.

The best angle for squats is rear oblique (see the sticky on how to film your squats). You may also want to take a video from the side to see how deep you are going.

Good luck!

Ok! I will put my safety bars higher to make sure that I don't go too deep, and I will post another video from rear oblique... Thank you!

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Lack of tightness is a huge problem--you basically just collapse in the hole, which is why you're so deep. This isn't a safety bar higher issue, this is an extending lower back and contracting abs issue. So really tighten up--the depth issue is the symptom, not the cause, so raising your safeties won't help anything.

Also, look down, not straight ahead.