starting strength gym

Thread: Squat, Deadlift, and Power Clean Form Check

Default Squat, Deadlift, and Power Clean Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi all, been lurking for a while, and just recently made an account. I'm 5'6", 148lbs BW, 22 years old. Currently trying to run Starting Strength. Read BBT 3rd Ed. Started the program 5 months ago.

I just failed out on my squats today so I felt like it was a good time for a form check.

I de-loaded the Squat, Press, and Deadlift about two weeks ago due to stalling. Just recently built back up to where I was before I de-loaded.

Here is my LBBS at 220lbs. Second Set. I got five reps for the first set. Ended up being 5-4-4. You can't see my head or the bar placement but I'm looking down, I promise. I'm mainly concerned about the knee travel. If another angle is needed, I can record a new one on Friday.

LBBS@220#:

Here is today's deadlifts at 255lbs. They were terrible. I had the hardest time locking out my back and as a result my back rounded pretty badly. I don't know if I rushed the warm ups or it was just a bad day but I could not keep my back straight. I feel like the only rep that wasn't terrible was the first. Currently my lower back feels perfectly fine aside from being a bit sore.

Deadlift@255#:

The thing is, two weeks ago I pulled 265x1x5. The setup was pretty bad but I don't think the back rounded nearly as bad as it did today. I did this set before I read the sticky about how to properly setup a pull.

Deadlift@265#:

And finally the power clean. I just started about a month ago, but I feel like its coming along nicely and just wanted to get some input.

Powerclean@130#:

Thanks in advance!

Your squats look pretty good, though it's hard to tell some aspects because of the angle. Your deadlifts, like you said, had some pretty severe rounding. You'll have to find a cue that works for you to keep it in. For me, it's mostly thinking about squeezing the chest up, and feeling it all the way down to the base of my spine. Your video of 255 is not 1 set of 5. It's 5 singles. I reset between deadlift reps, but if it takes 3 minutes, it's probably not 1 set. Your power cleans looked fine to me.

Form aside, unless you started the program weighing 100 lbs, you're probably not doing it right. I realize 5'6" isn't exactly monstrous, but 150 lbs after 5 months is still pretty light, meaning you're likely not eating enough to progress as well as you could.

Thanks PEBCAK.

I agree about the eating thing. I'm working on it, but sometimes I'm just not hungry. With that being said, my starting LBBS weight was around 90lbs, so I'm generally happy with my 220lbs 5RM.

And I see your point on the 5 singles vs 1 set of 5. I'll put more effort into keeping the deadlift setup short.