starting strength gym

Thread: Applying PP for the intermediate athlete

Default Applying PP for the intermediate athlete

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I have been lifting for around 4 years, but until I discovered starting strength I never really understand the difference between strength training and bodybuilding.
    I am currently 5?4?? (well, more like 5? 3??), 145lbs and have used SS to gain 15lbs of bodyweight and achieve an OHP 5RM=115, bench press 5RM 195lbs, squat 5RM=275, deadlift 5RM=325lbs and powerclean 1RM=155.
    I am training for grappling competition, both gi and no-gi My goal for my intermediate phase is to achieve the most strength and power per pound of bodyweight as I do compete in a sport with weight classes. However, I am still actively trying to gain weight and plan to compete at 154 lbs in the future.
    Practical Programming, as you make clear, is not a cookbook and gives a lot of room for interpretation. Can you please point out any recommendations, flaws, misunderstandings of PP, or alterations you would make to my hypothetical routine based off your experience?
    (note: sets x reps)
    Monday (volume)
    1. Squat 5x5
    2. Bench Press 5x5
    3. Power Clean 5x3
    Assistance:
    4. Weighted sit-ups 4x8
    5. Bodyweight hypers 2x20

Wednesday (recovery)
    1. Front Squat- 3x3
    2. Press- 5x5 (or 3x5?)
    3. Weighted Chins -5x5 (or 3x8?)
    Assistance:
    4. Weighted Sit-up 3x12
    5. Weighted Hyper 3x12

Friday (speed/power)
    1. Squat 10x2 65% 1 RM 60 sec rest
    2. Bench press 10x3 65% 1RM 60 sec rest
    3. Deadlifts -1x5 alternated weekly with 15x1 65% of 1RM 30 sec rest
    Assistance:
    4. Pullups using towel for grips: 3xfailure
    5. Dips 3xfailure alternated with 3x8

Concerns:
    1.Is there too much tonnage on Wednesday, should the 5x5s be switched to 3x5? I figure the best way is to just try it.
    2. Is there too many core exercises on Friday? I wasn't sure if the dips and chins fit in as core exercises or assistance work as far as the toll they take on the body.
    3. As a general guideline, what bodyweight range would you recommend for someone at my height?

1. If you trim the tonnage on wed, then you will be treating the press as an assistance exercise, and it needs the same attention the bench does. Wed will probably work as 5x5, at least for a while. If it doesn't, you might rotate between 5x5 and 3x5 for both the bench and the press, and do your weighted chins a little different each week.

2. There is too much if you can't recover. Try it and see, and don't hesitate to drop something if you need to.

3. I'd say that 154 would be good, depending on your frame.