starting strength gym

Thread: Lost squat strength

Default Lost squat strength

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I had exclusively followed SS for three months and made really good progress and set new PRs for my squat and deadlifts. After the three months, I switched to Crossfit exclusively. Today, I had the Crossfit Total (roughly 70 days after I made the switch). My strength in the deadlift has not dimished much but my squat strength did.

I would say that my one rep squat max lost about 25 pounds but my deadlift only lost 10. Is this typical? Or is there something wrong?

My plan was to rotate between SS and Crossfit throughout the year.

This is typical and normal, and illustrates the specificity of training. You gained metcon and lost a little strength. As you alternate between the two, you will gradually increase the capacity of both, but strength tends to suffer more than metcon when it is layed-off. This is because for most trainees that are not advanced in strength and metcon, strength has the ability to contribute more to metcon than the converse.

Thanks Rip.

Coyote,
    We've been using a hybrid METCON/Strength template at our gym for alot of guys that want to do Crossfit but are worried about losing strength gains (this would include myself). Tends to work pretty well, but is pretty draining and frequent deloading is a must. Is not true Crossfit cuz the workouts aren't randomized but does a good job of increasing work capacity/metcon and maintaining strength. PM me if you are interested in the template.